Origin of Philippus?

History, archaeology, historiography, peoples, and personalities of ancient Rome and the Mediterranean.

Moderator: Aldus Marius

Origin of Philippus?

Postby Curio Agelastus on Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:44 pm

Salvete omnes,

I have been reading recently on the antics of Lucius Marcius Philippus, of "Changing patron every five minutes" fame, and I realised that his name has a very Greek, or rather Macedonian, sound to it - i.e., Philip of Macedon. Is this just coincidental? What is the actual meaning of Philippus?

Bene valete,
Marcus Scribonius Curio Britannicus.
Marcus Scribonius Curio Agelastus
Rector ColHis, Senator

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Curio Agelastus
Senator
Senator

Re: Origin of Philippus?

Postby Anonymous on Sun Aug 15, 2004 1:40 am

Marcus Scribonius Curio wrote:Salvete omnes,

I have been reading recently on the antics of Lucius Marcius Philippus, of "Changing patron every five minutes" fame, and I realised that his name has a very Greek, or rather Macedonian, sound to it - i.e., Philip of Macedon. Is this just coincidental? What is the actual meaning of Philippus?

Bene valete,
Marcus Scribonius Curio Britannicus.

The influence of the greek civilization/culture was predominant in the mediterranean world, and her impact in the romans reached the point that even the upper classes started adopting greek names.
For example, there was consuls named Philo, Thermus, Philippus etc.
Anonymous

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Sun Aug 15, 2004 1:08 pm

Salve Maior!

Really? I didn't know that. I had assumed, like Curio, that after a while the Greeks just sort of romanised and trickled through the Roman upper class, but kept some elements of their former names intact, like many non-Romans who were granted citizenship did.

Vale bene,
Draco
Gn. Dionysius Draco Invictus
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Return to Collegium Historicum