Caesar

History, archaeology, historiography, peoples, and personalities of ancient Rome and the Mediterranean.

Moderator: Aldus Marius

Caesar

Postby Quintus Aurelius Orcus on Wed Sep 10, 2003 2:17 pm

Salvete
I have a question. Is there a biography out there on Gaius Julius Caesar?
I read in an article on a book written by Paul Claes that Caesar was not more than an massmurderer. I haven't read the Bello Gallica myself (i was planning on it) but i do know for sure that Caesar hasn't listed every event that occured in this war (his failures, etc..;) so i was wondering, if there was an objective biography on Caesar availble?
valete
Romulus
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Rector ColRel
Rogator
Princeps gentis Aureliae
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Senator
Senator

On Iulius Caesar

Postby Anonymous on Fri Sep 12, 2003 11:01 pm

Salve,

I have just joined this body, and I would like to reply to this post first. There are several biographies of Julius Caesar on the shelves, and this one _The Assassination of Julius Caesar: A People's History of Ancient Rome_ by Michael Parenti has been getting some good reviews.

I don't know where else it has been reviewed, but there is a synopsis of its viewpoint at its page on Amazon.com.

Another biography I can think of off-hand is by Gelzer.

Vale!
Gaia Antonia Aurora
Anonymous

Postby Q. C. Locatus Barbatus on Sat Sep 13, 2003 9:27 pm

Salvete!

I do know for sure that Caesar hasn't listed every event that occured in this war (his failures, etc.. )

That's true. De Bello Gallico is very subjective. It has been censored by Caesar himself, so that he could controll the feelings and thoughts of who would read it. The famous sentence "horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae" must be seen in that context: the war had taken long and cost much, and when you defeat someone who is incredibly strong, how strong musn't you be?

Valete!

Locatus
Quintus Claudius Locatus Barbatus
Rector
Princeps Gentis Claudiae
Consul
Senator
Patricius
Q. C. Locatus Barbatus
Senator
Senator

Postby Anonymous on Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:07 am

I have the book "Julio Cesar - O Ditador Democratico", by Luciano Canfora.
A very good reading.
Anyone knows?
Anonymous

Postby Anonymous on Thu Jun 10, 2004 8:41 am

Salve,

Well, you could always try "The Twelve Caesars" by Suetonius. Other than that, there's (not a biography, but useful) Ronald Syme's "The Roman Revolution". I would back up the recommendation of Gelzer, although be careful. Sometimes the need to justify things and make Caesar seem...less than a demigod, perhaps, is a good way of putting it, does detract from the book. At some points, he does seem to be humbling the image of Caesar a bit too much.

Vale bene,

Marcus Ulpius Trajanus
Anonymous

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Thu Jun 10, 2004 3:23 pm

Salvete

Caesar a mass murderer? That may be a bit of hyperbole, but he did at times go beyond what Romans thought normal, and Cicero along with many in Rome were sure he would reinstitute proscriptions. Politically it was wise not to. Curio told Cicero, "Caesar himself was not by nature and inclination averse to cruelty, but he thought mild measures would win popularity. But, if he lost popular favour, he would be cruel." (Cicero ad Fam. 15.4.14)

Another book on Caesar is J. F. C. Fuller's "Julius Caesar: Man, Soldier, Tyrrant," 1965. Fuller was the foremost military historian in his time, and looks at Caesar from a military perspective.
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Quintus Pomponius Atticus on Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:54 pm

Salve Orce,

The Ghent public library appears to have a few works on Caesar in its collection :

Titel Julius Caesar : politicus en staatsman
Auteur/Uitvoerder Gelzer, Matthias (auteur)
(mentioned by Gaia Antonia Aurora [welcome by the way 8) ! ] )

Titel Jules César : le dictateur démocrate
Auteur/Uitvoerder Canfora, Luciano (auteur)
(mentioned by Marcus Arminius Maior)

Titel Caesar against the Celts
Auteur/Uitvoerder Jiménez, Ramon L. (auteur)
(mentioned by me :wink:)

Vale,

Atticus
Quintus Pomponius Atticus
Praetor

"Ars longa, vita brevis" - Hippocrates
Senator
Senator

Salvete

Postby Anonymous on Thu Jun 10, 2004 5:22 pm

Parenti is rubbish, not worth the paper on which its printed. A sorry excuse for a book.

Gelzer is still the best and most objective, than there are Meier and Arthur D. Kahn´s interesting Education of Julius Caesar.

Drusus
Anonymous

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Thu Jun 10, 2004 6:08 pm

Quintus Pomponius Atticus wrote:(mentioned by Gaia Antonia Aurora [welcome by the way 8) ! ] )

I think people should really seek to follow this man's kindness. He welcomes people even after they have appearently left the Societas ;) (her posting is nearly a year old :D).

Draco
Gn. Dionysius Draco Invictus
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Quintus Pomponius Atticus on Thu Jun 10, 2004 6:40 pm

Gnæus Dionysius Draco wrote:
Quintus Pomponius Atticus wrote:(mentioned by Gaia Antonia Aurora [welcome by the way 8) ! ] )

I think people should really seek to follow this man's kindness. He welcomes people even after they have appearently left the Societas ;) (her posting is nearly a year old :D).

Draco

Oops, I didn't mind the dates next to the postings. Thought this was a new topic. :oops:
Praetor

"Ars longa, vita brevis" - Hippocrates
Senator
Senator

Return to Collegium Historicum