Which period would YOU want to live in?

History, archaeology, historiography, peoples, and personalities of ancient Rome and the Mediterranean.

Moderator: Aldus Marius

In what Roman age would you like to live?

Kingdom (8th - 5th century BCE)
6%
Early Republic (5th - 3rd century BCE)
No votes
Middle Republic (3rd - 2nd century BCE)
13%
Late Republic (2nd - 1st century BCE)
13%
Early Principate (1st century BCE - 1st century CE)
33%
Middle Principate (1st - 2nd century CE)
33%
Late Principate (2nd - 4th century CE)
No votes
Dominate (4th - 5th century CE)
No votes
Another period, not listed here.
No votes

Total votes : 15

Which period would YOU want to live in?

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Fri Jun 13, 2003 3:35 pm

Salvete!

I created another poll to ask the following question... which period of Roman history would you have liked to live in? Or, being forced to choose, which one would be the least unlikable period. In your forum response you can also specify a really exact period.

Assumed is that you live in Rome itself and are a fairly middle-class person. Rich enough to pursue a small office but not nearly as wealthy as the biggest fish. You're a plebe, too.

Of course, in your replies you may also add what profession you would have been :).

Valete,
Draco
Gn. Dionysius Draco Invictus
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Tiberius Dionysius Draco on Fri Jun 13, 2003 6:04 pm

Salve Drace,

uhm, I don't really know what to chose because I don't know what the Empire (or Kingdom) did in each of those times or what it 'looked' like.

Could you give a brief summarization?

Vale bene,

Tiberius Dionysius Draco
Tiberius Dionysius Draco
Curator
Curator

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Mon Jun 16, 2003 11:12 pm

I had hoped others, too, would reply to this topic. Alas! :roll:

Anyway.

Tiberi (the vocative case of my nomen is simply Draco, btw), these periods have been selected by none other authority than... me :). Kidding.

The Kingdom is the legendary period of the Roman kings such as Romulus, Numa Pompilius and the Etruscan kings such as the infamous Tarquinius Superbus. Most historians seem to agree however that around the 8th century BCE Rome was still more of a grouping of villages than it was "the Urbs". There is also still a lot of debate as to how deep the Etruscan influence went. Piscinus, if I get this correctly, contends that Rome and Latium were part of a larger cultural network which was influenced by Etruria but in turn also influenced Etruria itself.

The Early Republic starts in 510/509 BCE with the chasing away of the last Etruscan king (allegedly a hated tyrant) and the wars against the Etruscans. The most notable of these is the war against the Etruscan general Lars Porsenna, connected to the tale of Mucius Scaevola and his burnt hand (in reality, however, Lars Porsenna probably defeated the Latines). The Early Republic is characterised by an oligarchic, patrician rule. Conversely, in the Middle and Late Republic there is an evolution towards plebeian emancipation. The office of Tribunus Plebis is created and later one of the two consules has to be a plebeian. I don't know all the dates and facts from the top of my head though.

My division of the imperial period is fairly straightforward. As the early principate I consider the Julio-Claudian dynasty and the Flavians. The Adoptive Dynasty would be the middle principate and the rest up until the tetrarchy of Diocletianus would be the late principate. I divided these eras along the lines of dynasties and types of government, mainly.

Valete,
Draco
Gn. Dionysius Draco Invictus
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Curio Agelastus on Tue Jun 17, 2003 8:28 pm

Salvete,

I've already voted, I'm the "Sole Defender of the Late Republic". :-D

My reasoning is that any of the eras would be dangerous with regards to health, crime, and the odd horde of barbarians charging towards Roma. However, where but in the late Republic could you see so many talented people walking the streets? The Gracchi, Marius, Sulla, Crassus, Pompeius, Metellus Pius, Caesar, Curio ;-) Antonius, Octavianus! Ok, not all at the same time, but it was certainly packed with interesting people to know.

PS: I assume, then, that no one likes my family tree idea?

Bene valete,
Marcus Scribonius Curio Britannicus.
Marcus Scribonius Curio Agelastus
Rector ColHis, Senator

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Curio Agelastus
Senator
Senator

what are we Romans now :P

Postby Anonymous on Thu Jun 19, 2003 2:45 pm

Chaírete Póµanoi,

y'all know about my hospitium with Lupus and my maecenas. I was kind of very exited when I opend this polled thread. But I, probably to any Roman's astonishment and maybe even revolt, chose kingdom. Like I am a Hellenean visitor in this pseudo-republican parts. I would be one of those imported(almost wrote important -not intierly incorrect, given history :wink: :)) Greeks, well maybe more important than imported. These were just Greeks in the Magna Graecia doïng ther thing, influencing Italics, for those hated kings of those hated times, where just King of the Pólis (not to mixe up with a alike named cartoon) ...

anyway I'll leave you now with may esoteric babbeling :arrow:

Héllenos, leader of the Italic apoikía :lol:
Anonymous

Postby Anonymous on Thu Jun 19, 2003 2:47 pm

corr. Hell. hated times = glorified times
Anonymous

Return to Collegium Historicum