2,000 years

History, archaeology, historiography, peoples, and personalities of ancient Rome and the Mediterranean.

Moderator: Aldus Marius

2,000 years

Postby C.AeliusEricius on Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:07 pm

Salvete omnes!

Second favorite emperor Vespasian is having his 2,000 birth anniversary coming up. The Piscinian calendar has it as this Thursday, Nov. 19. The Suetonius edition on my Kindle has the birthday as Nov. 27. Either way it is a big day for the big man who gave his name to public toilets in Rome.

I'm sure plans for celebratory banquets are underway in many of our homes in the open handed manner of this glorious Caesar.

:party:

Ave Vespasianus!

valete bene

C. Aelius Ericius.
C.AeliusEricius
II. Legionary
II. Legionary

Re: 2,000 years

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:28 pm

Salve, Gaii Ericii -

Atque vale, umbra Vespasiani, an emperor sensible if not terribly senstive, esteemed in my book for being grounded. He returned as the head of a stable regime, he returned Rome in that civil sense to sanity, and he had rather the best set of 'last words' of any emperor I can think of. >({|;-)

But - Nov. 19th or the 27th? Who can solve that dispute? After all, to hold convivia on both days might be a bit too much!

Optime vale.
Valerius Claudius Iohannes
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Centurio Honorarius Societatis
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

:: Adversitas bono viro intelligentiam docet. ::
Valerius Claudius Iohanes
Curator
Curator

Location: Sancti Leandri Oppidum, California Franciscencis, Conpactae Civitates Americae

Re: 2,000 years

Postby C.AeliusEricius on Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:49 pm

It seems as though Nov. 17 is the most agreed upon date. Kindle is known for typos and errors, probably from scanning. The 19th might have beena typo on Pisci's part in the version of his calendar I use most often (I like the format). In two other format version of his calendar Piscinus has the 17th. In my Loeb Suetonius it has the date as the 17th. So...

Vespasiano was a good bloke, and he did a good job. I was taken aback that Suetonius did not have the usual paragraphs of the evils the emperor did, as S. did with his other imperial subjects. Maybe the evils were not such to my eyes, such as having a steady lover he was loyal to regardless of her background. And being brae thrifty laddie. Vespasianus's crude sense of humor might alos have counted as an ill, though it is another "endearing" thing in my book. I had to put the biography aside whn I was reading the bads of Tiberius.

Vale.
C.AeliusEricius
II. Legionary
II. Legionary

Return to Collegium Historicum