How Old is the She-Wolf?

History, archaeology, historiography, peoples, and personalities of ancient Rome and the Mediterranean.

Moderator: Aldus Marius

How Old is the She-Wolf?

Postby Aldus Marius on Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:30 pm

Salvete, Romani viatores!

Some silly person, by analysing the dirt between Her toes, has managed to convince herself that the Lupa dates only from Medieval times:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080711/ap_ ... she_wolf_2

Honestly...Hmph. >({|3-|

In amicitia et fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Marcus Lupinius Paulus on Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:16 pm

I once found an article from 2006 I think. making similar claims based on metallurgy. I did not read the article though.

I sympathize with the contention that contaminents could botch the tests. This is a claim also made by Shroud of Turin devotees. I guess we will have to wait to see what the results are later on. All I can say for an opinion is...maybe so, maybe no!

Not being a scientist myself, articles like this always leave me feeling helpless and at the mercy of the experts, and when the experts are in disagreement, at least one is out in left field.

Paulus
Marcus Lupinius Paulus
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Gaius Iulius Tabernarius on Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:10 am

Sounds familiar... could it be from the same people behind this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obuu5wi3Y9U&feature=related

I wonder what political agenda is behind this. It sounds very suspicious to me.

Well at any rate, we know history, we have read it. You would need some kind of global conspiracy to fabricate all of that... of wait, people believe in those things, don't they?

I can state with certainty that Romans circa 1st century ad believed that Rome was founded by Romulus and Remus who were suckled by that she wolf. After all, if that's not the case, what was Livy going on about?
"O Tempora! O Mores!!" Cicero
Gaius Iulius Tabernarius
II. Legionary
II. Legionary

Experimental Control

Postby Aldus Marius on Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:24 am

Salvete omnes!

I think the researchers should also analyse the Chimera Bronze. It was made by the same method as the She-wolf, around the same time, and possibly even by the same Etruscan sculptor.

I am a little offended by the assumption that the Etruscans could not have made such a thing. A lot was lost between the fall of Rome and the High Middle Ages. I suspect metallurgical techniques were pretty high on that list. The Medievals could do it only after basically reinventing the process.

In fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Gaius Iulius Tabernarius on Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:38 am

Agreed, its pretty clear that its another case of Dark age denial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfnkDCp0G9U

When you look at the sheer magnitude of lost information and all the amazingly advanced ideas and technologies of which only fragments survive. I think its absurd to consider that the famous Etruscans who were praised by both the Greeks and Egyptians, (admittedly with some chauvinism thrown in) couldn't make a bronze statue.
"O Tempora! O Mores!!" Cicero
Gaius Iulius Tabernarius
II. Legionary
II. Legionary

Return to Collegium Historicum