Children of Domitian?

History, archaeology, historiography, peoples, and personalities of ancient Rome and the Mediterranean.

Moderator: Aldus Marius

Children of Domitian?

Postby Tarquinius Dionysius on Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:02 am

I'm currently doing some research on Domitian, and right now am slightly confused over whether Domitian ever had a daughter. Several websites seem to state that there was a certain Domitilla who, like his only son, died in her early youth. Brian Jones' The Emperor Domitian so far only mentions the (nameless) son, but I did wonder whether new evidence had come to light in the mean time.

So, how many children did Domitian have, and by who?
Tarquinius Dionysius
Senator
Senator

Domitilla?

Postby Aldus Marius on Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:43 am

Salve, mi Tarquini!

Hmm...Vespasian had a wife and daughter, both named Flavia Domitilla; the daughter would have been Domitian's sister.

Domitian himself married a Domitia Longina, "Domitia" being her nomen; she was the daughter of Gn Domitius Corbolo. For offspring, my sources mention only the boy...which, of course, does not preclude the existence of others. >({|:-)

In amicitia et fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Tarquinius Dionysius on Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:23 pm

Thanks. I did find a more recent paper on Domitia Longina (2002), which also mentions only the boy. Jona Lendering's website identifies this child as Titus Flavius btw, but I was under the impression that his name had not survived?
Tarquinius Dionysius
Senator
Senator

Return to Collegium Historicum