Annales Societatis - Condita

History, archaeology, historiography, peoples, and personalities of ancient Rome and the Mediterranean.

Moderator: Aldus Marius

Annales Societatis - Condita

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:35 pm

Salvete sodales,

All things have a beginning, including the Societas Via Romana. While Lucius Silvanius Florus and I had not been fed by wolves or were sons of Mars, we did found SVR. What began as an untitled "Ens Novum" project somewhere in the middle of 2754, developed into the Societas Via Romana with the addition of the Pomponii, Quintus and Lucius.

Florus and I sought to create a community for people who weren't just interested in Ancient Rome, but somehow felt a connection that went deeper than historical interest. Some of these people call themselves Romans-in-spirits, some call themselves major enthusiasts, and many will be considered major geeks. To an extent, this is all true. Our intention was to provide a forum for community-building through various topics, with the aim to write essays and contributions on our site for both occasional visitors and site members.

In 2754, I think the high point of our young existence was the marriage of two of our sodales, Florus and Maia, according to Roman tradition. Because of the wide geographic dispersion (Maia and Florus lived in Poland, many lived in Belgium, others still in the UK or the US), the real-life marriage was reenacted in our confabulatorium, where resident flamen Piscinus was kind enough to conduct the ceremony.

The low point of 2754 occurred late that year, when former opponents of the Societas sought to join it, much to Florus's dismay. As I was censor at that time, I thought that we ought to at least give them a chance. Florus branded me a traitor to the cause of the Societas, and left, together with his wife. Ironically, the controversial members never became active and were struck from the records after our very first census.

If memory serves me right, the first consules of the Societas were Quintus Claudius Locatus and Marcus Horatius Piscinus, but as I don't possess these records anymore, I cannot say for sure.

So, that's our first year in a nutshell. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask!

Valete optime,
Draco
Gn. Dionysius Draco Invictus
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Confirmandus est.

Postby Aldus Marius on Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:19 pm

Ave, mi Dionysi!

Your memory serves breakfast, lunch and dinner; here are the Magistrates from our founding year...

Censor: Gnæus Dionysius Draco (Belgica)
Consul: Marcus Horatius Piscinus (US)
Consul: Quintus Claudius Locatus (Belgica)
Ædilis: Quintus Pomponius Atticus (Belgica)
Rogator: Homeros Dionysius Aristophanes (Belgica)

Taken from the (up-to-date!) Album Magistratuum. Find it and other goodies at

http://societasviaromana.net ! >({|:-D

(Index page-->Regula section-->Album Magistratuum)

Severus and I put together another goodie for you in there, amice Gnae. Click on "Regula and Edicts", then "Regula Fundamentalis". It's all there. And the final version of the old one can be gotten to from the new one.

You like?
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:33 am

Salve Mari,

I'd tried that, but I got the good ol' 404 when I tried to access the magistrate pages and the regulae. My best guess is a demon devoured the pages.

Vale!
Draco

PS: I also retrieved files on my hard drive that contains this information, so at least up until 2757, I have the full list of magistrates.
Gn. Dionysius Draco Invictus
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Tech Support

Postby Aldus Marius on Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:08 am

Have you updated your bookmarks? --We're on Octavius' server now, under a new domain-name: societasviaromana.net .

Direct link to the Album Magistratuum:

http://www.societasviaromana.net/member ... ratuum.htm

"Gentlemen, Clear Your Caches...!"

In fide (and Tech Support),
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Return to Collegium Historicum