Improving SVR's Visibility

This is the Comitia (members' council) of the Societas Via Romana. While guests may read this forum, only registered members of the SVR may post or vote here.

Moderators: Aldus Marius, Valerius Claudius Iohanes

Re: Improving SVR's Visibility

Postby Annia Minucia Marcella on Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:14 pm

I would think it was simple:

"Celebrating the living Roman Way and the legacy of the Roman world"
Annia Minucia Marcella
II. Legionary
II. Legionary

Postby UrsusofUNRV on Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:29 pm

Annia Minucia Marcella wrote:I would think it was simple:

"Celebrating the living Roman Way and the legacy of the Roman world"

Which is what all Romanophile sites do, in various ways.

What I am trying to say here is you need to find something to offer the Romanophile community it can't get somewhere else, and preferably with as little residual NR baggage as possible.

At UNRV, for example, we're constantly reviewing book reviews. We have famous published authors grace our board an interact with the community. A lot of our members get free books from publishing houses to review. It is one of our foci, and something you really can't anywhere else.

If you want to pretend to be a Roman magistrate and have a lot of silly arguments, you can join NR.

But, as nice and as erudite as its members are, what does SVR offer you can't get anywhere else? How does SVR market itself? See where I am going.

Understand I mean this as constructive criticism. I like this place, I want to see it do well.
UrsusofUNRV
I. Auxiliary
I. Auxiliary

Postby Annia Minucia Marcella on Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:57 pm

Well I always thought SVR was just a group for romanophiles. I don't really undertand why it would need some sort of mission statement or something. It's a nice place for people with common interests in Ancient Rome to get together and socialize, learn from each other etc. If every other romanophile site does this, that's fine. I'm not interested in much more than that.

It's nice that your site has book reviews and authors. But I don't think every group I join has to offer something no one else does.
Annia Minucia Marcella
II. Legionary
II. Legionary

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:15 pm

Salvete -

Annia's point could be one of my own, that the SVR is a Romanophile refuge, if nothing else.

Ursus's practical points, useful for the Society to thrive a bit more, echo a project that I assigned myself for this coming year but (to my discomfiture) haven't started on, which was to try to resurrect something in the way of book reviews and summary- and essay-writing for the SVR. The Societas started that way, and have a lot of good material, one heck of a lot 'buried' in the threads, but also a lot on the Website in those Collegia.

So let me both points -

1. We don't need to try to be 'NR' or the 'UNRV', for that matter, as a Society or as a Board.
2. I will (agam! faciam!) take the time at some point in 2762 AUC to try to produce some articles and enlist others to contribute. But since we're speaking of it, I'll make a pitch right now: Who has a Roman aticle, summary or critique percolating in their brain that they would like to share here on the Board and Site? I know that most all of us have little time for such things, but I am issuing a call nonetheless, and will try to answer myself as I can. If you have something, or would like to contribute something, let me know.

Gratias et Anniae et Urso ago. Valete.
Valerius Claudius Iohannes
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Centurio Honorarius Societatis
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

:: Adversitas bono viro intelligentiam docet. ::
Valerius Claudius Iohanes
Curator
Curator

Location: Sancti Leandri Oppidum, California Franciscencis, Conpactae Civitates Americae

Previous

Return to Comitia