Academia Thules

This is the Comitia (members' council) of the Societas Via Romana. While guests may read this forum, only registered members of the SVR may post or vote here.

Moderators: Aldus Marius, Valerius Claudius Iohanes

Academia Thules

Postby Primus Aurelius Timavus on Thu May 18, 2006 10:57 pm

Salvete

Academia Thules has approached me about the possibility of their working with SVR. One thing they would like is to be allowed to post their class schedules at one of SVR's fora. They also have positions open for praeceptors, and you do not have to be a member of NR to attend classes or to teach at AT. In return the AT offers SVR a place to advertise ourselves. They have also considered offering a course about SVR as they do about NR. The AT is incorporated separate from NR, and although affiliated in some ways with NR, it is an independent educational organization. There is a very good opportunity there that I think could benefit SVR and we should consider it later after we have resolved the matter before us concerning the Regulae.

Piscinus wrote that in the Concilium in August of last year. The reaction to the idea of affiliating with AT was unanimously positive in the Concilium, with the caveat that no one wanted an affiliation to lead into a subservient relationship.

I'd like to resurrect the proposal. I see affiliation as a painless way of advertising for new members. What do you all think?

Tergestus
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Curator, Rogator, Praetor et Patricius
Civis Romanus Sum
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Curator
Curator

Postby Quintus Servilius Priscus on Fri May 19, 2006 10:33 am

I personally think it is a great idea.

Priscus
Quintus Servilius Priscus
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Tiberius Dionysius Draco on Fri May 19, 2006 11:48 am

Agreed, it seems like a great opportunity, I'm all for it.
Tiberius Dionysius Draco
Tiberius Dionysius Draco
Curator
Curator

Postby Curio Agelastus on Tue May 23, 2006 3:03 am

I, too, think that there is no harm in associating with AT; they are an impressive organisation, who could indeed afford us advertising benefits.
Marcus Scribonius Curio Agelastus
Rector ColHis, Senator

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Curio Agelastus
Senator
Senator

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Thu May 25, 2006 12:42 pm

Salvete sodales

I should explain some things about association with the Academia Thules. The Academia Thules is an independent group. It was founded by members of Nova Roma and thus it has had a relationship with Nova Roma for some time. However it wishes to better establish that it is an independent group. It wants to get past the impression that many have of the Academia being a part of Nova Roma. It would like our help in doing this.

A couple yeas ago we already established that the Academia accepts Praeceptors (instructors/teachers) based on their teaching experience, their knowledge, and their willingness to work, and not on a teacher's affiliation with any organization. To fill out its programs it is looking to SVR for people who are willing to develop classes and who are willing to teach. Classes are held at YahooGroups lists.

The Academia has always been open to students who are not affiliated with any particular organization. Because of its relationship, most of its students have come from Nova Roma. This, too, the Academia would like to see change. The classes that I have seen are well developed. They have an excellent program for Latin students. The courses on Roman law are very informative. I was teaching the in the religious studies program and will be working on developing more courses.

What the Academia Thules is most interested in now in associating with SVR is that it wants permission to advertise its course schedules inside SVR. One of its members would post in our Forum when a course is being offered and how to register.

In exchange what SVR will ask is that links from the Academia Thules to SVR be placed on their website and at some of their class lists.

SVR was originally founded with an idea of organizing it as a kind of school. It has since formed into a discussion group. The Academia Thules offers us a place for structured classes that I believe will help our members individually and that also should end up helping discussions in our Forum become more lively and more interesting. One idea we can consider is that we could use our Forum to complement classes at the AT by holding seminars and symposia here. While teaching at the AT myself I used links to SVR's webpages to provide additional teaching material. Just by teaching in one class, exposing others to SVR, SVR did gain a modest increase in membership. So exposure of the AT in SVR and exposure of SVR in the AT should help both organizations.

Valete
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Sun May 28, 2006 5:05 am

Salvete

Discussion at Academia Thules has now begun to consider what a relationship with SVR might mean for them. These are some of the ideas being tossed around from their perspective.

- Teachers drawn from S.V.R.

[Teaching positions were already opened to SVR sodales in 2004. The Latin program especially has had both teachers and students who were not Nova Romans. And the religious courses more recently. I am currently the department head for the religious course study program, and I will gladly welcome any help I can get from new teachers.]

- Courses open to members of S.V.R. and advertised there

[Courses at AT have always been opened to those who are not members of Nova Roma. This hasn't always been recognized by some people because the AT had been so closely associated with NR in the past. It may be a little awkward at first, but this is something that the Directors of the AT want to change. The biggest issue here will be the posting of announcements of AT classes and their schedules on SVR's boards.]

- Perhaps a more general course like "introduction to modern Roman life",
encompassing material on both the groups and also other contemporary groups such as Roman religious groups, Latin-speaking groups, and others who practice aspects of Roman living in the modern world. This would include reenactor groups and classical organizations.

[Due to its long association with NR, the AT offers a course on NR. It offers to do the same for SVR, although I don't see where we would have much use for it. Mari? Care to give a course on SVR's history and organization? Or maybe you would prefer to become Praector for the course on Nova Roma? :lol: But this idea of a course on larger community of Roman enthusiasts and what groups are out there is an interesting proposal. Of course SVR would be included in it, and we should look for some of our Sodales contributing to this course.]

- S.V.R. to advertise the Academia as Nova Roma does e.g. prominent link on website.

[SVR has avoided doing this sort of thing in the past. We will be asking that they advertise SVR on their website with a link to our Societas, so it would be only natural that they shall ask the same from us.]

Valete optime
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Extension

Postby Aldus Marius on Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:01 am

Salvete Sodales...

Due to the site and Board being down over last weekend, I would like to extend the voting-period another four days, from the 10th of June to the 14th.

Would that be all right, mi Tergeste...?

In fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Primus Aurelius Timavus on Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:21 am

I defer to your good judgement as always, mi Mari.

Tergestus
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Civis Romanus Sum
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Curator
Curator

Postby Primus Aurelius Timavus on Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:04 pm

Salvete omnes,

The motion is carried.

Piscine, please approach your contacts in Academia Thules to inform them of SVR's interest in collaboration.

I propose that Piscinus also continue as the sole negotiator with AT, understanding that he will keep the Comitia fully informed during the course of the negotiations. The goal of the negotiations will be a formal memorandum of understanding (MOU) laying out the commitments of each party. The Comitia will ratify the MOU before it takes effect.

Any objections or ideas?

Valete,

Tergestus
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Civis Romanus Sum
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Curator
Curator

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:03 am

Salvete Rectores et Sodales omnes

I don't think that there are many issues to discuss between the Academia and SVR. So far there are really only few points.

1. SVR will grant the Academia Thules permission to post course schedules in SVR's Forum.

2. An exchange of links to our respective websites.

3. Acceptance of SVR Sodales at Academia Thules as praecetores (teachers) and as students. [Actually this is already in place.]

Not part of the formal memorandum of understanding but a possibility will be to have individual praeceptores from the Academia using SVR's Forum to hold discussions, symposia, or use SVR's website to post extra reading material for classes they conduct. This would be handled in the same way that individual Sodales submit contributions to the website or post topics in the Forum.

Are there any other issues that the Sodales wish to have brought up with the Academia Thules?

Valete optime
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Tiberius Dionysius Draco on Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:27 am

Salve Piscine,

Horatius Piscinus wrote:Not part of the formal memorandum of understanding but a possibility will be to have individual praeceptores from the Academia using SVR's Forum to hold discussions, symposia, or use SVR's website to post extra reading material for classes they conduct. This would be handled in the same way that individual Sodales submit contributions to the website or post topics in the Forum.

Should an Academia Thules subsection in the forum be created then? Or are they going to post in the relevant Collegia?

Vale bene,
Tiberius Dionysius Draco
Tiberius Dionysius Draco
Curator
Curator

Postby Cleopatra Aelia on Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:44 pm

I think a subforum would be a good idea and in this subforum you have the "sub-subforum" which correspond to the collegia. So that makes the classes/discussions related to the Academia Thule easier to find.
Cleopatra Aelia
alias Medusa Gladiatrix
Cleopatra Aelia
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:18 pm

Salvete

No need to get too complicated here. We don't know yet that the Academia's teachers will be using our Forum. As I am one of the Academia's praeceptores, I might, but that would still be done in a manner that is similar to how I usually post anyway.

The Academia does want to maintain control over their praeceptores and how things are taught in classes so as to conform to their own procedures. Different praeceptores have different styles of teacing and our Forum would not necessarily work for them. So we'll just wait to see what develops.

For the time being what we could do is have a symposium set off as a separate topic in a collegium. That is different from holding classes in our collegia. When we hold symposia the Sodales have respected that non-participants should not post while the symposium is being conducted. For a class situation there would have to be even stricter guidelines on who may post or not. Most Academia classes include quizzes and tests and a bit of individual instruction through private emails. That might be accomplished here, I don't think it would be difficult to adapt to our facilities, but we sall have to wait to see if any of the praeceptors elect to use our Forum.

On a related subject, are any Sodales available and willing to teach courses at the Academia? You should have some background in actually teaching classes, or be a graduate student with a strong foundation in your subject matter. One thing that the Academia hopes to receive from SVR are teachers to fill out their staff. If we could get a few Sodales to teach it will help smoothe this relationship we are trying to establish. That also may be a way to get Academia praeceptores to join in discussions in SVR, making our Forum more active. Naturally, too, our own Sodales might be more willing to offer their classes inside SVR, which would go far in developing our collegia in a way that SVR originally intended. Classes can be offered on almost any subject matter, and would last for a matter of weeks. It takes more time to actually prepare a class than to teach it. So consider some things that you might be knowledgable on.

For some of you who may be graduate students, teaching a short course of two weeks or more may be a good way to organize your thoughts on your own studies. It could be a way to help prepare for your thesis or orals. The rest of you who may be like me will find the discipline of trying to organize your subject matter into a class format is a good way to put together what you have been reading on lately. Teaching becomes an exercise in learning more than anythng else and it is a good way to gain new insights into subjects that interest you.

And btw as I am head of the religious studies program at the Academia, I am looking for some teachers myself. Your subject matter does not have to be on the religio Romana either, as I would like to see courses developed on other religious traditions as well. Anyone here able to handle early Christianity and/or Gnosticism or first century Judaism or aspects of Greek religious traditions or the mystery religions, then I would like to hear from you.

Valete optime
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Academia Thules

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:07 am

Salvete, Sodales -

Marius just mentioned this thread in a post in a different thread, and I would like to bring it before the Comitia once more. I'd like to ask those who aren't familiar with the Academia Thules to go to their site ( http://www.academiathules.org/ ) and get an idea. The questions I want to raise are (a) Does the Academia Thules seem like something beneficial such that (b) We should put up a link to it on our site? There is more to this whole discussion, vide supra, but what do our citizens think here at the SVR?

Yes, we are listed on their site, I checked just now, our link is still there right beside NR's. Have any of us here availed ourselves of their classes? If so, did you find their classes useful or valuable? (If they were not, then there's no need for this discussion; but I rather doubt that they would be less than promised -- Horatius Piscinus ipse is in charge of the classes on religion.)

Ita, dicite, amici: quid censitis? What think ye?
Valerius Claudius Iohannes
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Centurio Honorarius Societatis
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

:: Adversitas bono viro intelligentiam docet. ::
Valerius Claudius Iohanes
Curator
Curator

Location: Sancti Leandri Oppidum, California Franciscencis, Conpactae Civitates Americae

That Link

Postby Aldus Marius on Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:41 am

Salve, Iohanne Curator, et Salvete omnes...

You know, I still haven't posted that link yet? I think we're still awaiting that Memorandum of Understanding; and the Avitus flap, in which one of their Praeceptores tried to throw his weight around here, no doubt disrupted the process.

But even if we *were* to link to the AT on our site...where would we put it? To my own chagrin, we don't really have a Links page for other Roman groups. (After I'd gone and lectured the NR Wiki squad, too.) Each Collegium has a Links section for its particular subtopic...but nothing for the Societas in general. I've been back-burnering that one for two years... Now that's embarrassing.

Plainly we'd have to build a Links page. The page itself would be no real trouble; certainly not on the scale of converting the Album Senatorum (a beat-up Excel spreadsheet in its original state). For the links, I can donate my bookmarks for starters, and several of my other favorite sites are listed on the MA Community Portal.

But what would be ultra-cool is if we could somehow consolidate all the links that have been posted to this Forum over the years. That's too big a job for one person, which is probably why it's never been done. But could we make a community project out of it? Divvy up the fora, have some people collect links and others check out the sites to see if they're still of interest? Forward the good ones to whoever's dancing on the server that week? >({|;-)

Just a thought,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Return to Comitia