New Regulae

This is the Comitia (members' council) of the Societas Via Romana. While guests may read this forum, only registered members of the SVR may post or vote here.

Moderators: Aldus Marius, Valerius Claudius Iohanes

On the New Regulae proposed for the Societas Via Romana:

Poll ended at Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:57 am

UTI ROGAS (I vote for)
92%
NEGO (I vote against)
7%
ABSTINEO (I abstain)
No votes

Total votes : 14

New Regulae

Postby Quintus Pomponius Atticus on Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:10 am

Salvete omnes,

As you may recall, a few months ago, the Societas, agreeing on the fact that its original regulae were hindering it in its development and efficient working, appointed a group of decemviri rei publicae constituendae to draft a new 'constitution' for our organisation.

Somewhat later than expected, this concilium has now fulfilled its task and has approved the text it has produced, with 8 members voting for the text and 2 abstaining.

I now call upon the sodales in the Comitia to read and discuss the text. As for deadlines, I propose 1 week for discussion (until the 13th of november) and 1 week for voting (beginning the 20th, and ending the 27th). If 1 week appears to short for discussing everything as wished, the Comitia may prolong the period for discussion with 1 week at a time, not extending 3 prolongations.

Anyhow, here's the text.

Valete,

Q. Pomponius Atticus

REGVLAE SOCIETATIS VIAE ROMANAE

I. Statement of Purpose

1. The Societas Via Romana (Roman Way Society) is an international fellowship and Internet community of people sharing a common interest in all aspects of ancient Rome and the heritage that it brought forth for Western Civilization. The Societas therefore acts as an educational organization among its members to discuss and learn together about the various aspects of ancient Rome, its cultures, languages, history, religions, arts, and sciences.

2. The Societas provides and maintains fora via the Internet whereby its members and like-minded people may meet to discuss their common interests.

3. The Societas also maintains a website to provide information to its members and to the general public with regard to the Societas itself and the interests of its members. The website provides a common space where members of the Societas are invited to post written materials and other media related to ancient Rome.

II. Membership

1. Anyone may apply for membership in the Societas through the procedures published at its website (www.societasviaromana.org). Upon acceptance by the officers of the Societas a member shall be known as a sodalis and shall partake fully in any and all benefits extended to sodales of the Societas. In order to remain a member, a sodalis must register with the officers of the Societas in a census held biennially.

2. Individual sodales have the following rights within the Societas.

A. Access to any and all fora maintained by the Societas.

B. The right to submit written essays and other media as contributions to the website maintained by the Societas. Sodales retain full editorial privileges over any essays they submit for posting to the website of the Societas. Once an essay has been posted to the website, the sodalis who authored the essay may request from the officers of the Societas that it be removed and the officers of the Societas may not refuse to comply with such a request.

C. The right to vote in elections and the right to seek and to hold any elective office of the Societas.

D. The right of initiative to propose measures and policies to the Comitia and the right to vote on any proposals in the Comitia.

E. The right to propose before the Comitia that any or all officers of the Societas be recalled from office.

F. The right to appeal before the Comitia that any decision of an officer or a collective decision of the officers of the Societas be overturned. This right also applies in the case where officers of the Societas have decided to take a disciplinary action against a sodalis in the course of performing their duties of moderating the forums of the Societas. In this special case the right of appeal before the Comitia shall be known as provocatio.

G. A sodalis may be suspended or expelled from the Societas, and/or be disbarred from the fora of the Societas for cause by a majority vote of all the officers of the Societas. Suspension goes into immediate effect, but may be appealed before the Comitia. A decision of the officers to expel a sodalis from membership in the Societas and/or to disbar a sodalis from its fora must be posted to the Comitia. The sodalis then has one month to claim his or her right of provocatio, appealing the decision of expulsion and/or disbarment before the Comitia. The decision of the officers to expel or disbar a sodalis does not go into effect until one month has passed from the date when their decision was posted to the Comitia, or until the Comitia has made a final determination on such a disciplinary measure in response to an appeal of the sodalis.

III. The Comitia

1. All authority within the Societas Via Romana ultimately rests with the Comitia. The Comitia shall be composed of all sodales in good standing in the Societas.

2. The Comitia may elect and/or recall any officers to act on its behalf to administer the website and fora of the Societas. Officers are elected by a simple majority of those sodales who vote in an election. Officers may be recalled by a two-thirds majority of those sodales voting in such a recall election.

3. The Comitia may adopt policy statements for the Societas and/or administrative measures by a simple majority of those sodales voting in an election.

4. The Comitia may amend the Regulae Fundamentalis by a two-thirds majority of those sodales voting.

5. The Comitia may, at the initiative of any sodalis, overturn any or all decisions made by the officers of the Societas, to include any disciplinary decisions appealed by a sodalis through his or her right of provocatio.

6. To be valid and to have any force whatsoever, any decision by the Comitia must be voted on by at least ten sodales in good standing or by at least one thirtieth of all sodales in good standing (rounded up), whichever is greater.

IV. Officers

1. The Comitia may elect officers to act on its behalf to administer the Societas, its website and the fora of the Societas. The individual titles of the officers and their individual duties shall be established by the Comitia.

2. No less than three and no more than seven officers may hold office at any one time.

A. Officers are elected by the Comitia, each officer needing a simple majority of those sodales voting in the election in order to attain his or her office. Each officer holds office for two years and may seek re-election as often as he or she may desire.

B. If an officer resigns from office and should then decide to withdraw his or her resignation within nine days of announcing the resignation, the officer must await a decision of the Comitia before returning to office. In effect, the officer appeals to the Comitia to overturn his or her own decision to resign.

C. An officer may be recalled from office by a two-thirds majority of those sodales voting in Comitia, acting upon the initiative of any sodalis, and subject to the quorum described in paragraph III.6. above.

3. The officers are to collectively manage and maintain the fora and the website for the Societas. They may appoint assistants as needed. They may remove, rearrange, or edit any material on the website, with the one exception that may not edit an essay submitted as a contribution by a sodalis without the author’s permission.

4. Officers are to maintain decorum in the fora of the Societas, and thus may suspend, disbar or expel any and all subscribers to the fora, subject to each sodalis' right to provocatio.

5. The officers oversee elections held in the Comitia. They may appoint any assistants needed to conduct such elections.

6. The officers are to maintain a list of all current sodales of the Societas, and conduct a biennial census, registering sodales who wish to renew their membership. The officers may set any procedures needed to conduct the census. They may appoint any assistants to perform the census. The officers are charged with maintaining the privacy of the sodales of the Societas and the security of any information about its sodales, collectively or individually, collected by the officers for the internal use of the Societas.

7. The officers are authorized to establish administrative procedures to be used in the Societas and its Comitia, propose policies for the Societas, manage relations with persons and entities outside the Societas, and grant honorary titles to any sodalis and/or awards of recognition to its members or others. At the initiative of any sodalis, such decisions of the officers may be subject to approval or rejection by a vote of the Comitia
Quintus Pomponius Atticus
Praetor

"Ars longa, vita brevis" - Hippocrates
Senator
Senator

Postby Q. C. Locatus Barbatus on Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:32 pm

This new regula seems to be very democratic. It states no more hierarchic structures. I hope this will work out fine in praxis. There won't be one (or two) persons anymore who can lead on in time of problems.

I do support this regula.
Quintus Claudius Locatus Barbatus
Rector
Princeps Gentis Claudiae
Consul
Senator
Patricius
Q. C. Locatus Barbatus
Senator
Senator

Left-handed compliment?

Postby Aldus Marius on Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:22 am

Salvete magistri...

The SVR belongs to us all. It is not the property of any one person to pick up, put down, hand over, or set aside. To say one has "entrusted" something to another is to imply ownership of the thing in question. I find such an attitude patronizing and offensive.

You would do well, Coruncanius, to remember who the real "reporting officials" are here. The Membership of this Society as a whole 'entrusted' the future of the SVR to us, and they will determine, here in Comitia, whether we have a thing which was "Nicely Done". And hopefully they will not add any such snide remarks as "We didn't think you could do it."

In fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Primus Aurelius Timavus on Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:52 pm

Alright fellows, let's knock it off and get back to the proposed Regulae. Any more discussion? I can't believe that everyone likes it.
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Curator, Rogator, Praetor et Patricius
Civis Romanus Sum
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Curator
Curator

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:21 pm

Salvete sodales omnes

The new Regulae will present us with a new set of circumstances in which to deal with the same set of problems that SVR has been dealing with these past four and a half years: maintaining active discussion on our boards, producing new material for our website, promoting SVR, attracting new members, and keeping our sodales and subscribers. These are the same problems that all internet communities have to deal with. Now we can return to working in those areas.

The Regulae set up a more flexible structure by not mandating certain things. It does not eliminate our collegia, it just no longer mandates that SVR have collegia structured a certain way with so many officers, or what titles the officers will have, and so on. The Regulae does not eliminate provinciae if sodales wish to form such, or legiones, or gentes, or other sodalitates within SVR if any sodales wish to create such things. The Societas is no longer held hostage to creating and maintaining such things either.

The Regulae leaves flexible what our officers will be, even in what we will call them. It sets in that the officers deal collectively in managing the sites used by SVR sodales, gives them enough authority to deal with problems as may arise, while also providing that the whole of the membership acting through the Comitia can serve a greater role than previously.

This does not mean that SVR will be without any problems, or that, as Cornucanius rightly observed, that the new Regulae may prove to create new problems for us. But they do get rid of some of the extraneous things in the old Regula that were held over form the early developments of our Societas. Some of those extras resulted from a reaction to how other internet communities acted. These new Regulae hopes to have looked more into SVR's unique situation and thereby produce an organizational structure that better reflects the Societas Via Romana and its sodales.

I support passage of the Regulae Societatis Viae Romanae

Vos quod fexitis Deos omnes fortunare velim.
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Publius Dionysius Mus on Sun Nov 13, 2005 4:21 pm

Salvete!

I also support these new Regulae. This 'new structure' is what I had in mind when supporting the idea of a decemvirate rewriting the old Regula.

Congratulations, amici!
Publius Dionysius Mus

No Spartiate soul left alive to tell
How bravely they fought
By treason they fell
(Ancient Rites - Thermopylae)
Publius Dionysius Mus
Eques
Eques

Postby Quintus Pomponius Atticus on Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:25 pm

Salvete omnes,

As announced, I propose we can vote on the new regulae during the following week. I hereby ask the aediles to set up a cista.

Valete,

Atticus
Praetor

Senator
Senator

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:14 pm

I don't want to be a pest here, but...

How are we going to set up that cista again? There are no censores to send voter codes to the sodales, and as far as I know only one of the rogatores is in action. Same with the aediles. While I see the dangers of making its ratification a simple poll on the Comitia forum, making an official cista is really a hassle because since both censorial positions became vacated, there have 'officially' not been any new members, although de facto they are members and should have the right to vote.

The only two things that could go wrong with this poll are someone voting on more than one account and people who are definitely not members casting their votes.

Other than that, yes, the new Regulae are very democratic, even a bit anarchist. It is a complete departure or maybe a radical evolution from where we started, and I hope it will be one of the changes that will bring good for the Societas.

It can count on my full support.

Optime valete!
Draco
Gn. Dionysius Draco Invictus
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Quintus Pomponius Atticus on Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:54 pm

Gnæus Dionysius Draco wrote:I don't want to be a pest here, but...

How are we going to set up that cista again? There are no censores to send voter codes to the sodales, and as far as I know only one of the rogatores is in action. Same with the aediles. While I see the dangers of making its ratification a simple poll on the Comitia forum, making an official cista is really a hassle because since both censorial positions became vacated, there have 'officially' not been any new members, although de facto they are members and should have the right to vote.

The only two things that could go wrong with this poll are someone voting on more than one account and people who are definitely not members casting their votes.

Other than that, yes, the new Regulae are very democratic, even a bit anarchist. It is a complete departure or maybe a radical evolution from where we started, and I hope it will be one of the changes that will bring good for the Societas.

It can count on my full support.

Optime valete!
Draco

Salvete,

This is a rather annoying problem...

I propose that we organise the vote by means of a poll, but that every member who has voted notifies the forum of that fact in a simple posting.
That way, we can check if the number of votes on the poll correspond to the number of actual members that have voted.

Valete,

Atticus
Praetor

Senator
Senator

Postby Curio Agelastus on Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:13 am

I think such a voting system is the best we can come up with until our anarchistic regular is official.
Marcus Scribonius Curio Agelastus
Rector ColHis, Senator

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Curio Agelastus
Senator
Senator

Postby Tiberius Dionysius Draco on Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:59 am

Poll added.

Quintus Pomponius Atticus wrote:Salvete,

You can here vote on the New Regulae proposed at http://www.societasviaromana.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1177

Only registered members of SVR can vote.

If you have voted, please leave a message affirming that (not the content of your vote, just the fact that you have voted) under this topic, so that we can check that no one has voted twice.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Valete,

Q. Pomponius Atticus
Tiberius Dionysius Draco
Tiberius Dionysius Draco
Curator
Curator

Postby Quintus Pomponius Atticus on Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:47 pm

Tiberius Dionysius Draco wrote:Poll added.

Thank you, Tiberi.

I've cast my vote.

Valete,

Atticus
Praetor

Senator
Senator

Postby Primus Aurelius Timavus on Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:36 pm

I've voted in favor of the new Regulae.
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Curator, Rogator, Praetor et Patricius
Civis Romanus Sum
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Curator
Curator

Postby Q Valerius on Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:15 am

VTI ROGAS
Q Valerius
Eques
Eques

Marius...

Postby Aldus Marius on Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:45 am

...has voted.

In fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Aulus Dionysius Mencius on Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:09 am

Voted, I did...

Optime vale

Mencius
Aulus Dionysius Mencius
Praefectus Belgicae, Rector of ColMil et Senator
Aulus Dionysius Mencius
V. Cornicen
V. Cornicen

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:08 pm

Salvete sodales omnes

Legem scisco. I have voted.
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Quintus Servilius Priscus on Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:26 pm

I also have voted.

Priscus
Quintus Servilius Priscus
Censor, Curator
Quintus Servilius Priscus
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Quintus Aurelius Orcus on Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:27 am

Salvete sodales

I also have just voted.

valete

Quintus
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Rector ColRel
Rogator
Princeps gentis Aureliae
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Senator
Senator

Postby Curio Agelastus on Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:12 pm

Salvete omnes,

I've voted.
Marcus Scribonius Curio Agelastus
Rector ColHis, Senator

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Curio Agelastus
Senator
Senator

Next

Return to Comitia