An SVR-holiday to Rome?

The main forum of the Societas Via Romana. Anything not covered by one of the Collegia is probably being discussed here!

Moderator: Aldus Marius

An SVR-holiday to Rome?

Postby Q. C. Locatus Barbatus on Fri Nov 08, 2002 10:12 pm

Salvete omnes,

A little while ago Mus and I were thinking about organising a holiday for SVR members to Rome. But before we ever start making plans: Are there any members interested in a 5 or 7 days organized holiday in Rome? We could try to organize something. It would be a tremendous opportunity to get to know each other better.

Anybody interested?

Valete,

Loc
Quintus Claudius Locatus Barbatus
Rector
Princeps Gentis Claudiae
Consul
Senator
Patricius
Q. C. Locatus Barbatus
Senator
Senator

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Sat Nov 09, 2002 1:04 pm

Salve Locate,

Yes, I think any member with his head straight on his shoulders would like that! However, right now I don't have the financial means to pay for this. My college life is so expensive that it's draining all my resources...

Scorpio
Gn. Dionysius Draco Invictus
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Anonymous on Sat Nov 09, 2002 2:34 pm

Salve mi Locate,

I'll be happy to oblige. I'll start packing now..

Laureatus
Anonymous

No hurry

Postby Q. C. Locatus Barbatus on Sat Nov 09, 2002 10:33 pm

Salvete,

Do not hurry! I'm just checking for interest. And It shouldn't be expensive. The voyage can be cheap when using services like Ryanair; and the hotel doesn't have to be a 5 star... or does it?

Valete,

Locatus
Rector
Princeps Gentis Claudiae
Consul
Senator
Patricius
Q. C. Locatus Barbatus
Senator
Senator

Roman Go Homeplace?

Postby Aldus Marius on Sun Nov 10, 2002 12:40 am

Of course, it becomes a whole 'nother equation if you start plugging the Americans into it...(said the wistful, but not hopeful, Romano-Texan of the bunch)
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

hurry

Postby Quintus Aurelius Orcus on Sun Nov 10, 2002 12:52 am

Salve Locate
<Do not hurry! I'm just checking for interest. And It shouldn't be expensive. The voyage can be cheap when using services like Ryanair; and the hotel doesn't have to be a 5 star... or does it?>
No it doesn't have to be. I guess the only requirements are that the journey is affordable but pleasant and that we don't ran into the classical problems: mice, bad service and food. That sort of thing.
Why Rome when we can go to Greece. A friend of mine stayed in Crete and said that although the people were religious (making crosses when looking at a mountain), it was a pleasant trip and very cheap. I believed he said something that for 9 euros you would have a good meal or so. Another problem we will ran into if we do such a thing especially in Rome; are the tourists. In Rome there are way to many tourists. I don't know of Greece. I would be interested in it as this post might have revealed.
Vale
Sokarus Aurelius Orcus
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Rector ColRel
Rogator
Princeps gentis Aureliae
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Senator
Senator

Rome-Greece

Postby Q. C. Locatus Barbatus on Sun Nov 10, 2002 2:51 pm

Salve Sokare,

I would like to go to Greece too, but:
1. We are the Societas Via Romana, and Rome seems a good start to me. Greece can be our next trip :wink:
2. It is easier and cheaper to travel to Rome than to Athens.
3. When doing Greece you need a car.
4. Rome is touristical, what has its disadvantages (too many tourists; although Greece is very touristical too) but also advantages: most people understand French or English (Some in Greece too, but not on the same scale as in Rome).
5. When traveling to Greece it is better to take a 10 or 14 days holiday. Only Athens/Crete/Delphi or whatever won't fill our needs, we will have to do them all! Rome can be done in five days.

Vale,

Loc
Rector
Princeps Gentis Claudiae
Consul
Senator
Patricius
Q. C. Locatus Barbatus
Senator
Senator

Trip to Roma

Postby Diana Moravia Aventina on Mon Nov 11, 2002 2:11 pm

Salvete,
While Ryan air seems cheap, it takes forever and there are some hidden costs. For example, they advertize 17 euros to London, cheap right? But then there is about 40 Euros tax, at least another 15 euros to get down to Charleroi, and then when you get to Stanstead it costs another 40 euros to get into the center of London. Basically, they fly into and out of airports that are very very far from the cities.

Last week, it took me 8 hours to get from Limburg to Victoria station= total cost 125 Euros. I had to take 2 trains to Charleroi, the plane and 2 more trains to victoria station. I had to jump up and catch another train etc. every 45 minutes...could have plopped down and gone to sleep, rather than going up and down every 30 minutes.

But yesterday I found something very inexpensive. I am going to London by bus next week. It will cost me 57 euros and another 10 euros to Antwerp to get the bus. It will take 8 hurs and 15 minutes to get there, but for 7 of those hours, I can read or sleep. The bus also stops in different parts of Belgium. I've just checked and it costs 124 euros round trip from Belgium to Rome from Belgium website http://www.eurolines.be
Our British friends can look at their English website on http://www.gobycoach.com

And other than the price, a bus might be nice for us. We can talk without constantly looking at our watches, maps, train schedules and bus schedules in order to see if we'll make the next connection.

Vale,
Diana
Diana Moravia Aventina

Trip to roma- Hotels

Postby Diana Moravia Aventina on Mon Nov 11, 2002 2:30 pm

Salvete,
There is a service called 'Dream vacations' which allows you to stay in a hotel during off season for 1500 BEF for 2 people in NICE hotels. More info can be found in larger belgian post offices. This service is also in the UK, but I don't know where you need to look for info.
The website, which is in German is at http://www.freedreams.be (which for some reason I can't get into at the moment, but it might be me)
Diana Moravia Aventina

Plans...

Postby Q. C. Locatus Barbatus on Mon Nov 11, 2002 9:04 pm

Salvete,

There seems to be quite a lot of interest. So I started thinking. IF we should do this, I would say that every member must try to forsee in its own transport. I understand that it can be difficult and expensive (especially for our american members), but Rome isn't moving unfortunately. We always can try picking each other up at certain airports, train stations etc.

I've started a poll on the general Forum, so I can count how many people are interested.

Now... Should I contact travel agencies or whatever, or do we say: "nah, maybe later..."?

vale,

Locatus
Rector
Princeps Gentis Claudiae
Consul
Senator
Patricius
Q. C. Locatus Barbatus
Senator
Senator

Postby Curio Agelastus on Tue Nov 12, 2002 10:05 pm

**Curio checks to make sure his head remains straight on his shoulders, after Scorpio's comment**

Salvete omnes,

Despite wishing I could do this, I must claim the same excuse as always.

Despite my excellent performance on the RP thread ;-), I remain as good at the people thing as a hedgehog in the middle of a motorway at rush hour.

Therefore, given other SVR members would be present, who are, to my knowledge, people, I must sadly decline.

Bene valete,
Marcus Scribonius Curio Britannicus.
Marcus Scribonius Curio Agelastus
Rector ColHis, Senator

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Curio Agelastus
Senator
Senator

re: plans..

Postby Quintus Aurelius Orcus on Tue Nov 12, 2002 10:11 pm

Salve Locate
What do you mean by forsee in its own transport? Those residing in the same city can easily go together to a trainstation or aiport?
Vale
Sokarus Aurelius Orcus
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Rector ColRel
Rogator
Princeps gentis Aureliae
Quintus Aurelius Orcus
Senator
Senator

transport

Postby Q. C. Locatus Barbatus on Thu Nov 14, 2002 7:21 pm

Salve Sokare,

Of course you can speak to toher members in your neighbourhood; but I exactly meant members from other parts of the world. You can't ask everybody to take a flight to Brussels and then travel with us.

Vale,

Loc
Rector
Princeps Gentis Claudiae
Consul
Senator
Patricius
Q. C. Locatus Barbatus
Senator
Senator

Return to General