Marius' thread!

The main forum of the Societas Via Romana. Anything not covered by one of the Collegia is probably being discussed here!

Moderator: Aldus Marius

Postby Primus Aurelius Timavus on Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:56 pm

We're sorry for you Mari. Hope you're holding up well.

Mi mayor pesame

Tergestus
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Curator, Rogator, Praetor et Patricius
Civis Romanus Sum
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Curator
Curator

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Sun Jan 01, 2006 5:45 pm

Salve Mari,

It's always sad to hear bad things happen to good people.

Draco
Gn. Dionysius Draco Invictus
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Wandering again

Postby Aldus Marius on Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:46 am

Salvete amici...

By this time next month I will have (a) visited my aunt and grandma in San Francisco; and (b) vacated my trailer-home in the Mojave for my Ma's big house in northern Oklahoma.

The Oklahoma move has been in the works for a while; my coming out to California was largely so I would be on hand when the time came. Yeah, I know, I could've stayed in Dallas and made a much shorter trip, but...my house was falling down around my ears, so she had me rescued, and..here I am.

I will continue to do routine Board/Site maintenance (checking Webmail, nuking spammers, answering PMs, posting) except for the days I am actually in transit. I am not yet sure of the SF trip dates; but the trailer has been sold out from under me, so I have to be out of there, at least, no later than the 3rd.

Any last requests...? >({|:-)

In amicitia et fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Road Warrior Update

Postby Aldus Marius on Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:58 am

Salvete iterum!

Ma sprung the surprise on me today: the San Francisco trip starts on Friday. I will likely be gone at least four days, maybe six. I will take the laptop; however, social situations will likely demand my attention, and I don't want to be rude. I *will* pop in once a day except for the days I'm travelling.

Oh, yes...and this message makes me an Aquilifer now. >({|:-)

In pre-flight,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Cleared for takeoff...

Postby Aldus Marius on Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:32 am

Avete omnes!

The Oklahoma move is Thursday. I've been scarce (but not non-existent) due to preparations. I shall be in transit, and likely completely out of touch, between 24th and 29th March; even my Lares are packed away, they'll be last on the truck and first off.

After that, figure maybe a few days to get up and running; much will depend on if the phone's been turned on by the time we arrive. And then...I shall hit this Board and the site hard, fast and continually!!!!!!!!!! >({|:-D

In amicitia et fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Quintus Servilius Priscus on Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:52 am

Exactly where in OK are you moving to? I live in Wichita, KS so, hopefully we could get together some time in the future.

Quintus Servilius Priscus
Quintus Servilius Priscus
Curialis
Curialis

Meeting?

Postby Aldus Marius on Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:42 am

Ave, mi Prisce!

Joy!! --I may actually get to meet one of my fellow Sodales!

I'm relocating to Bartlesville, which, despite the hick-sounding town name, was until recently the headquarters of Phillips Petroleum Corp...so the place has some culture. It's in northern OK, so if I should become transportationally-enabled again, Wichita is a strong possibility. (I drove through there on my way to Topeka once, and liked what I saw.)

I've seen that we have a few other Romani in the north Texas-Oklahoma-Kansas area. Maybe we could make an event out of it...?

In amicitia et fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Mari Iterum

Postby Aldus Marius on Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:49 am

Avete omnes...

I'm done travelling for the nonce, and more-or-less esconced in B-ville, Oklahoma. This is the first day we've gotten our phone line to do anything but stutter, so...here I am.

And don't ask me about the journey. Suffice it to say that I shall never allow my lares to be loaded into the back of a moving-van again, especially by someone who does not understand the concept. Next time they go in my lap!

Looking for a decent decompression chamber is...
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Cleopatra Aelia on Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:20 pm

Salve mi Mari,

welcome back on bo(a)rd 8) I hope that you will settle down soon in Oklahoma. I hope that Curli Sue had no problems with the move and will settle in soon as well.

That's really a pitty with your lares but I never put any valuables on the moving truck but put them in my car. In my case it was the computer and my electric guitars.

All my best wishes to you,
Cleopatra Aelia
alias Medusa Gladiatrix
Cleopatra Aelia
Curialis
Curialis

Household Go(o)ds

Postby Aldus Marius on Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:41 am

Salve, mi Aelia...

Oh, my Lares arrived all in one piece; They'd have had to; with twenty-odd years of warehouse experience, I wasn't about to let anyone pack Them besides me. I just don't think They liked being loaded and transported by a man who did not and could not appreciate Their significance. My woes enroute may have been signs of Their displeasure. I don't think such Entities like being uprooted in the first place; although it is possible (see the Aeneid, pro exemplo), I believe it may be against Their basic nature as "household" Gods, and They should perhaps be treated with a little extra consideration if a move becomes necessary.

Anyway, I just nuked eleven Spam accounts--it's good to be back!! <feg>

In fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:00 pm

Salve optime mi amice

Welcome into your new domus! :lol:

Lares, eh? Some like to travel more than others. There're a couple I bring along whenever I travel. But relocating Them into a new home, that involves a bit more than just transporting some simulacra. Oh, yes, ask Vado on the idea of carrying your Lares around inside stones and images :wink: Once you have got things "set up" (purification of the house and chasing away any of the old, unwanted Manes that might be lingering there), you should decorate the place with flowers and set out a little meal to invite your Lares into your new home. Set the right vibes. And don't neglect the outdoors either as you might find some friendlies hanging out there too.

Good to see ya back.
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Iterum

Postby Aldus Marius on Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:15 am

Salvete omnes...

Now, normally it's a good thing (or at least kinda cool) when something comes full circle. Poets and English teachers make much of beginnings and outcomes, especially if the latter have anything at all in common with the former.

This topic started a few years ago as lonesome me wondering what had happened to the activity level in the Forum. I got quite a response from active members, as well as from persons otherwise occupied, but you did chime in, and you've stayed with me since as this developed into Marius' Personal Thread. You've seen me through several triumphs and tragedies, the revitalization of my personal Web site, some birthdays, two moves, losses of pets...

But the thing seems to have come full circle now, with me standing flatfooted, wondering where everybody went. Activity has gone from sputtering to lethargic; even some of the members who were on last summer's Concilium (the Ten Most Active and/or Longest-Serving) haven't been heard from in a while. We're having a debate here and in the Comitia that could bring about the most sweeping changes in the Societas' culture, nature, spirit, and purpose since we began. But even that's not bringing anyone out of the woodwork.

Is it home, school, travel? Did we get burnt-out by last summer's organizational upheaval? Is the SVR a different, more confusing, or less interesting place?

Ubi estis, amici Romani? Where IS everybody? >({(:-|

In maestitia (Sadly),
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Primus Aurelius Timavus on Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:37 pm

Salve mi Mari et salvete omnes,

I'm particularly interested in the discussion that we've been having about reform. But I've yet to see any concrete proposals ("bills") in the Comitia. I don't understand why; it doesn't take a lawyer to put together a bill. Let's see some specific language to debate, and then we'll have a spirited disussion I'm sure!

Tergestus
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Civis Romanus Sum
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Curator
Curator

Postby Q Valerius on Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:02 pm

Hey Tergeste. I became very busy all of a sudden, tho that should drop off after Thanksgiving or so. More concrete solutions are coming your way!
Q Valerius
Eques
Eques

!

Postby Aldus Marius on Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:43 pm

Salve, amice...

Thanksgiving??!!

(Do you know how long that is in Wolf-years??) >' ({|8-|

Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Q Valerius on Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:11 am

I'm still here, amice. I said the business will drop off after that, which means I'll be in full gear then. I'm not totally gone from the Societas before that, though, which is why I'm posting to begin with. ;)
Q Valerius
Eques
Eques

Postby Tiberius Dionysius Draco on Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:43 pm

Salvete Omnes,

I lurk. School takes up most if not all of my time. I still try and read the discussions though and I'll chime in when I've got something to say that hasn't been said already.

Valete,
Tiberius Dionysius Draco
Tiberius Dionysius Draco
Curator
Curator

Postby Curio Agelastus on Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:18 pm

I too am around, albeit rarely... I write this in between essays, so I shall chime in if I can, although it finding the time is difficult.
Marcus Scribonius Curio Agelastus
Rector ColHis, Senator

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Curio Agelastus
Senator
Senator

So far

Postby Aldus Marius on Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:00 am

Salvete amici!

...OK, so that's three Busies and a Pending Further Developments; so the SVR today has a whole five members? >({|;-)

All one of me,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Primus Aurelius Timavus on Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:05 pm

Is this a roll call? Adsum!
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Civis Romanus Sum
Primus Aurelius Timavus
Curator