Marius' thread!

The main forum of the Societas Via Romana. Anything not covered by one of the Collegia is probably being discussed here!

Moderator: Aldus Marius

Marius' thread!

Postby Aldus Marius on Sat Oct 16, 2004 11:54 pm

Salvete, anyone still within earshot...

Where IS Everybody??

This Board has been almost dead for the last couple of weeks! No forward motion in the RP, nor much response to anything else since maybe late September. I've had no replies to my last couple of PMs, either. Huh?

It's not Finals Week; Draco and Curio are back from their Absentiae, AFAIK, and others are dribbling articles here and there. Impression: We're all here...just hardly posting. Why fer?

Also: Our boardmembership totalled 205 at one point; then dropped to 194 and has slowly been inching up again. Did anyone else notice this? If so--Wha'happen'? A rash of sudden departures? Purging spurious names? Computer glitch?

Puzzled, and much too curious for his own good,
Last edited by Aldus Marius on Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Tiberius Dionysius Draco on Sun Oct 17, 2004 12:30 am

Salve Mari,

yes, sadly I've noticed this too.

I know that Draco is pretty busy with university (a new term has started for him) and that Piscinus has got his hand full with teaching.

As for myself, I've been busy converting the essay on the forum to .php to be uploaded to the site. Also I'm planning to send a whopping 300 promotional e-mails in the near future.

As for the 205 to 194 members drop, this happened after I had removed those so called "promotional accounts". People that registered with the sole purpose of promoting their website. They usually go by names like Andy411, ad75 or things like that.

As of late, they've been a real hassle to deal with. I remove their accounts, only to have them come back the next day. I'm trying to find something a little more permanent, but so far without luck.

So I'm hoping there will be a lot more activity in the coming month. :)

Vale bene!

Tiberius
Tiberius Dionysius Draco
Tiberius Dionysius Draco
Curator
Curator

Postby Quintus Servilius Priscus on Sun Oct 17, 2004 12:31 am

Salve,

It it is VERY quiet! Both here and the OP. I guess people just have nothing to
say. I thought for sure at least there would be some talk at the OP about my
leaving Gens Cornelia and founding my own Gens(Servilia). This was the first
time someone has left a Patrician Gens and founded a Plebeian Gens. Oh,
there has been a Plebeian Gens raised to Patrician level but not like I did
it. And as to why the member list number's bounce around a lot of spammer's
join and put their website URL in the member's webpage area.
Do you get any of the Nigerian Banking spam mail? I got one today as a
PM through another messageboard. That 's the first time I've seen that.

Vale,

Gnaeus Cornelius Lentulus(here)
Quintus Servilius Fidenas(elsewhere)
Quintus Servilius Priscus
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Curio Agelastus on Sun Oct 17, 2004 1:19 am

Salvete omnes,

I agree, I was even considering using the drastic measure of a *BUZZ*, but fortunately decided against it. I've tried to get some arguments going in the ColHis, but no one seems to care...

As for the RP, I think Draco is best-placed to continue it; I have tried several times, but it's not easy from Curio's position to continue the story at the moment, although I may try again over the next few days.

Tiberius scripsit:
"As for myself, I've been busy converting the essay on the forum to .php to be uploaded to the site. Also I'm planning to send a whopping 300 promotional e-mails in the near future.

As for the 205 to 194 members drop, this happened after I had removed those so called "promotional accounts". People that registered with the sole purpose of promoting their website. They usually go by names like Andy411, ad75 or things like that."

Am I the only one who sees the irony in these two paragraphs? :P Maybe it's just my English sense of humour...

Bene valete,
Marcus Scribonius Curio Britannicus.
Marcus Scribonius Curio Agelastus
Rector ColHis, Senator

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Curio Agelastus
Senator
Senator

Postby Tiberius Dionysius Draco on Sun Oct 17, 2004 12:39 pm

[quote="Marcus Scribonius Curio"]Tiberius scripsit:
"As for myself, I've been busy converting the essay on the forum to .php to be uploaded to the site. Also I'm planning to send a whopping 300 promotional e-mails in the near future.

As for the 205 to 194 members drop, this happened after I had removed those so called "promotional accounts". People that registered with the sole purpose of promoting their website. They usually go by names like Andy411, ad75 or things like that."

Am I the only one who sees the irony in these two paragraphs? :P Maybe it's just my English sense of humour...
[quote]

Salve Marce,

hehe, you're not the only one who noticed. I'll just have to make sure to be ready to delete the spammers as fast as possible to discourage them. And I hope I don't attract to much penis enlargement/nigerian scam spammers.

Vale bene,
Tiberius Dionysius Draco
Tiberius Dionysius Draco
Curator
Curator

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Sun Oct 17, 2004 12:52 pm

Salvete,

Like Tiberius says, I've been very busy getting things set up and done for the university and everything that comes with it. However, I don't really think this forum has dropped dead? I guess that Lupus, Atticus, Locatus, Mus and Mencius are much in the same situation as I am.

Hey and I did respond to most ColHis threads, I even posted one. No one noticed? :cry: I feel unloved now.

Gnaeus Cornelius Lentulus wrote:I thought for sure at least there would be some talk at the OP about my leaving Gens Cornelia and founding my own Gens(Servilia). This was the first time someone has left a Patrician Gens and founded a Plebeian Gens.

Not really. More than a year ago I left gens Octavia to form gens Dionysia :).

Valete,
Draco
Gn. Dionysius Draco Invictus
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Oh, good!

Postby Aldus Marius on Sun Oct 17, 2004 11:26 pm

Heia...!

Oh, good! --There are signs of life yet. And several of my friends, too. Geez, seems like the two most time-consuming things in a Boardmember's life are when school starts and when it ends...

Thank you for the expo on the cycling membership numbers.

Hey Draco: Think you'll be getting back to the RP anytime soon?

Tiberi: Are you still playing with that SVR Wallpaper design?

And Curio: I still have no new private messages!! <fg>

In amicitia (and in hope of a resurrection),
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Re: Oh, good!

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Mon Oct 18, 2004 1:20 am

Salve amice!

Marius Peregrine wrote:Hey Draco: Think you'll be getting back to the RP anytime soon?

Um, perhaps this weekend, but don't kill me if I don't get round to it. :(

Draco
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Q. C. Locatus Barbatus on Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:22 pm

For mysefl it's easy: I also started another year at school, and got busy with far too much projects...

And I'm preparing for my departure also. I will be in Berlin for four months and there is a lot of work preparing myself: study german, making arrangements and even travelling from here to there...

It will get better when I'm there.
Quintus Claudius Locatus Barbatus
Rector
Princeps Gentis Claudiae
Consul
Senator
Patricius
Q. C. Locatus Barbatus
Senator
Senator

Re: Oh, good!

Postby Tiberius Dionysius Draco on Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:35 pm

Marius Peregrine wrote:
Tiberi: Are you still playing with that SVR Wallpaper design?

Yes, I have thought quite often about ressurecting that project recently. It should still be locked up safely on my hard-drive.

However, I'd like to finish uploading first, then send the promotional e-mails and after that, I'll look into uploading the wallpapers.

Problem is that like most other members, school takes up a large portion of my spare time. So I'll have to squeeze it in whenever I can.

Vale bene!
Tiberius Dionysius Draco
Tiberius Dionysius Draco
Curator
Curator

Postby Lucius Tyrrhenus Garrulus on Tue Oct 19, 2004 7:38 am

SALVETE OMNES, S.V.B.E.V.

Sorry folks... I've been busy trying to keep a certain theocrat from being re-elected the President of the U.S.A.
Curse the evangelical movement!

VALETE BENE!
NOX EST PERPETVA VNA DORMIENDA
Lucius Tyrrhenus Garrulus
Eques
Eques

It's My Party...

Postby Aldus Marius on Wed Oct 20, 2004 3:36 am

Salve, mi Garrule, et salvete omnes!

I share your sentiment, Luci Tyrrheni, and have this day also done my part to procure for us a Consul (whose the hell idea was it to stop electing them in pairs?!) who is not sacer and who actually has some respect for the lives of his troops. I think the election of one such will bring an end to spending said lives on the strategic equivalent of costume jewelry.

And I have done better than merely curse the evangelists. As a member of their (supposedly self-same) religion, I give them allergic reactions ranging from heaving shudders to fits of raving. Compared to their normal behavior, an encounter with me leaves fundies of all faiths sounding almost rational...! They just can't seem to get that there were other kinds of Christians before Jerry Fallwell became King. I'm a Pelagian Christian, a British sect with Celtic sympathies that got itself named "heretical" even before Rome fell. (We don't do hierarchy, so when the Church of Rome showed up to Organize everybody, obviously we had to go.)

So here I am, practitioner of a non-centralized, non-authoritarian, culturally-mellow Christianity that is respectful both of women and of Creation, and that emphasizes the role of Man's free will in (our) God's plan (that was the part that got us kicked out of the "Western" Church, btw)...and I have a sacred grove, and I burn incense to ancestor-spirits, and I dance the seasons of the year...and doctrinally they can't touch me!! I give them absolute fits!! lol

...Phew! --best belly-laugh I've had since the last one. I ask your forbearance, sodales, for wandering off-topic if I did. I saw the opening; I couldn't resist...you know how I am. Besides, it's my dies natalis. I'm always extra-frisky then. 42 in another hour (2145 my time)...give or take a millennium or two.

Please send any flames to my PM inbox. I wasn't looking to get into a discussion on religion or American politics, but I realize that I might have anyway. >({(:-)

In amicitia et fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Aulus Dionysius Mencius on Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:36 am

First reaction, no flame...

Happy birthday, amice mi. :party:

Cura ut valeas, and I hope you have a nice cream soda, I am buying :wink:

The Menc
Aulus Dionysius Mencius
Praefectus Belgicae, Rector of ColMil et Senator
Aulus Dionysius Mencius
V. Cornicen
V. Cornicen

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Wed Oct 20, 2004 2:51 pm

TIBI OPTO BONAM DIEM NATALEM MARI!

That said...

Pelagian Christian

Isn't King Arthur rumoured to have been one? At least, according to that movie, he was 8)

Draco
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Wed Oct 20, 2004 11:06 pm

Salvete!

I have been quiet and will remain so for a few weeks as I am off teaching a course online about the religio Romana. I have never before received so many emails in one day, and I am just finishing up now, 13 hours since I started this morning. But I am very happy not to have missed this

*HAPPY BIRTHDAY*
*((((*M*A*R*I*)))*

:party: :party: :party:

Bonam fortunam care amice
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Pelagian Christian

Postby Aldus Marius on Thu Oct 21, 2004 3:45 am

Gnæus Dionysius Draco wrote:
>> Pelagian Christian

>
> Isn't King Arthur rumoured to have been one? At least, according to
> that movie, he was 8)
>
> Draco

This might go better in the CollRel if there's much interest; but, fwiw, yes, Artorius Pendragon is more likely to have been a Pelagian than anything else.

Pelagius the priest was active in the late 300's-early 400's AD, iirc. I know he went on a mission to Rome shortly before the Goths came a-knockin'. The Roman Church at the time actually gave its blessing to his activities. He taught and preached all around Britain, so his was one of the earlier brands of Christianity to which the Island was exposed. Its central tenet (besides the Christian basics) was that salvation was a joint effort between God and Man; God extended His grace, but Man had to make the choice. (This goes for after conversion, too: Man was equally responsible with God for the path his spiritual journey took. We tend, therefore, to be self-starters, and not to have great tolerance for being told what to believe...by anybody. You see my fundie troubles coming, nonne...? <feg>)

Fast-forward to the mid-500's, the time of the Saxon invasions. The Catholic Church was just beginning to make its own first forays into Britannia. (Think Patrick.) Most Christian Britons, therefore, were still Pelagians. If Arthur was raised Christian, this is the most likely branch.

The Catholics who came to do missionary work were a bit on the rude-and-fundie side. (Some things never change!) They asked us to do most everything their way, from church setup to the date of Easter. When we wouldn't fall into lockstep, they went back to Rome and spread a lot of bull about how the followers of Pelagius thought Man could save himself, that God's grace was not necessary to salvation at all.. This is how Pelagianism is still described on any Catholic-run Web site...even though the Pope issued an apology some years ago to Wiccans, Jews, and 'variant' Christians for the little misunderstanding. Well, I could bend, twist, and distort my pilum around somebody's neck and call it a "misunderstanding"...!

However, I've never had any grief from today's Catholics. I worshipped among them for many years; and most of them cannot be gotten to care about what the Church thought of anybody in the years before the Fall. No, I get it from the Baptists, the Pentecostals, the so-called non-denoms, and the Moral Majoritarians who, unfortunately, run my bit of the planet. Historically, each of these spun off from something else that they thought was too structured. And, indeed, none of them formally persecutes anybody. But you can't stop a redneck from fearing what he doesn't understand, and they do not understand me. Hence my rather alarming effect on them...<g>

Eh...I do seem to have strayed again; but hopefully, mi Draco, I have answered your question.

In fide (and now ya know which!),
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Absentia

Postby Aldus Marius on Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:30 am

Salvete amici!

This thread is called "Where IS Everybody?"; so it might be the best place to announce where I'm going to be for the first half of next month.

In another couple of weeks I shall be flying out to the California desert to see my Ma, first time in four years. (We are very close.) This will also be the first time I've been on an airplane in five years. I understand that flying's about the same, but airport security has changed rathermuch, and not in ways favorable to people who look as much like an Arab as I do. So maybe I'd just better get that warrant taken care of, and factor in a couple hours for sitting in the security cage while they check me out.

Trip dates are 5th to 21st November. Puppy-dogs will be in the care of my Librarian friend Lisa, who has been helping me with dog errands for a couple of years. I trust her with my little guys. That says something.

I will have 'Net access, so the Board may see me almost as much as usual, consistent with being a good guest. The RP Shall Go On!

Question: Have we any Roman fasti that need to be celebrated between those dates? If so, I'll need to bring one or two extra things.

Gratias vobis for any info, but most of all for your patience!

In amicitia et fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Fri Oct 22, 2004 3:05 pm

Salve mi Mari

November is the one month that has no great festivals. Nov. 5-21 would place you during the Ludi plebii dedicated to Jupiter, but then you'd know that by looking at the calendar in Col Rel's webpage

Buona viaggio
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Tiberius Dionysius Draco on Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:09 pm

Salvete,

just wanted to say that I haven't forgotten about the updates and promotional e-mails. However I've got school to think about as well and currently that's a priority.

I'll update the Aediles thread as soon as everything sent/uploaded.

Valete!
Tiberius Dionysius Draco
Tiberius Dionysius Draco
Curator
Curator

Marius Redux

Postby Aldus Marius on Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:47 am

Salvete amici!

I am pleased to announce that I have returned from my California trip. I am still quite busy, and just getting caught up on the Board, because...I shall be moving back to the Mojave Desert in a little less than a month! Mater's moving onto Fort Irwin with her hubby, who's in the Army. I in turn shall be taking over her doublewide trailer in the nearest town, Barstow (about 40 miles from base). I have lived in the area before, and like it. I shall have a phone line (meaning Internet from home!) for the first time in three years. There are already pet doors installed for the puppies, grassy places to walk, and Ma's got two dogs and three cats for them to play with.

My new neighbors are quiet, being mostly elderly or retired. I already have friends out there; I did some computer work for a gal who is now ready to erect a small shrine to me...I told her to wait until I'm dead, as I'd still have time to embarrass her otherwise! >({|;-)

I am very happy about this move. My stepdad is using his holiday leave to come out and fetch me (myself not being transportationally-enabled); Ma hopes to have me on-site by Christmas. Expect me to be a little scarce as I organize for the transfer. I do hope to nail my part in the RP at least twice more before I go, conlusores' response-rate permitting. I likely won't be online at all after that until my folks move onto the base. I'll let everyone know when things start to settle down!

In amicitia (and finally Gettin' Outta Dallas),
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Next

Return to General