John Titor

The main forum of the Societas Via Romana. Anything not covered by one of the Collegia is probably being discussed here!

Moderator: Aldus Marius

John Titor

Postby Tiberius Dionysius Draco on Sun May 16, 2004 4:41 pm

Salvete Romani,

some of you might already know what I'm going to talk about. For those of you that haven't, I advise you to follow this link: www.johntitor.com

For those of you that already know about him, I'd like to know what you think about it. Do you think he really exists or it's just somekind of a hoax? Do you think his predictions are going to take place?

After all, this ís the General Forum, so feel free to post your thoughts about this.

Valete!
Tiberius Dionysius Draco
Tiberius Dionysius Draco
Curator
Curator

Postby Curio Agelastus on Sun May 16, 2004 11:41 pm

Salve Tiberi Dionysi,

It's a hoax. Firstly, flaws in scientific concepts:

>1. Magnetic housing units for dual microsignularities

A dual singularity is an impossibility.

>2. Electron injection manifold to alter mass and gravity of microsingularities.

Altering mass and gravity of singularities would have no effect on the possibility of time travel, because their mass and gravity are so massive as it is. I don't deny that future scientists will discover a use for this, but it seems highly dubious to me.
I suspect that this John is simply using long scientific words to sound as if he's from the future.

>Will you show us more of the operations manual for your time machine?
I will consider it but I do not expect they are worth anything to most people except as a curiosity.

This is a blatant side-step - of course the manual of a time machine would be interesting, both to the whole scientific community and to just about every amateur out there, including myself.

>MORE MAD COW IN THE NEWS
HOST: John warned us about eating animals that are fed other animals and even specifically mentioned gelatin!

Given previous history I would think that in 2000 the mad cow threat prediction would be somewhat obsolete. I.e., it's a prediction based on the previous outbreak of mad cow disease, not on one that happens in our future.

>Media and Merchandise

I think the fact that there's a page for media and merchandise says it all really.

Also, the photos of the time machine are ridiculously improbable - they look like the creation of a student in robotics or engineering.

His depictions of the future are ridiculously simplistic and idealistic - they're simply the dreams of a modern man of his ideal future.

In short, the thing is, in my opinion, definitely a hoax.

Bene vale,
Marcus Scribonius Curio Britannicus.
Marcus Scribonius Curio Agelastus
Rector ColHis, Senator

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Curio Agelastus
Senator
Senator

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Mon May 17, 2004 11:20 pm

Salvete,

I actually don't just dismiss this as a hoax.

This site is not very good, but it links to another site which is way more serious. Also, unlike many moonies, the owners of both sides condede that it's still possible Titor was a hoaxer. Still, if he was a hoaxer, why did he do it? The most obvious reason (fame, fooling people) doesn't apply because he was never heard of again. Secondly, he even said he didn't expect to be believed (of course, that could also be a clever psychological ploy).

Granted that even in the pre-9/11 era, it was possible to predict a second Gulf War, the Chinese putting a man in space, the nibbling away at civil liberties by the US government, etc etc, but if he was a hoax, he was still a hoaxer with some insight.

Anyhow, I guess we'll see what happens... part of his predictions are to happen end 2004 and in the beginning of 2005. American friends, please warn us if there are signs of violence and civil unrest ;).

Valete,
Draco
Gn. Dionysius Draco Invictus
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Fri Jun 04, 2004 6:20 pm

Well...

On another site, the supposed physics for time travel are explained (a much better site than the one Tiberius referred us to, which has some ties to new age sites): http://www.johntitor.strategicbrains.com/ . Look under "Analysis". I explained this part to two people, one of them is a student civil engineering, and the other is a former medicine student (both had lots of math and physics) and they didn't say it was impossible from a scientific point of view.

However, my qualms with this timetraveller thing are on a level of pure logic which makes it irrelevant whether he was a hoaxer or not. He claims that the 1975 (which he had to go to) he got in showed a 2% divergence with his own worldline. 2% is a lot! And divergences between parallel universes, if we assume these exist, will only increase over time.

Still, suppose it was a hoaxer, being able to predict the nibbling away at civil liberties, the Chinese putting a man in space, the second Gulf War, the debate over WMDs in Iraq before 9/11 happened... if it was a hoaxer, it must have been one with a very keen insight in both history and politics.

Valete,
Draco
Gn. Dionysius Draco Invictus
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Return to General