Ongoing projects

The main forum of the Societas Via Romana. Anything not covered by one of the Collegia is probably being discussed here!

Moderator: Aldus Marius

Ongoing projects

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Wed May 12, 2004 12:40 pm

Salvete sodales!

This topic is here to remind you of projects in progress, as a quick reference so you don't have to dig through the forum to trace something back.

If you want a project added to the list, send me a pm.

Ongoing projects:

* The Idea Factory (started by L. Marius Peregrinus)
* Historical television programmes (started by Q. Pomponius Atticus)
* The RP thread (coordinated by L. Marius Peregrinus)
* Daily life in ancient Greece - currently dormant (coordinated by ?)
* Trivial Pursuit of Antiquity (coordinated by Gn. Dionysius Draco)
* The Gracchi - currently inactive (coordinated by M. Moravius Horatius Piscinus)

Valete bene,
Draco
Gn. Dionysius Draco Invictus
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Remember the Newsletter!

Postby Aldus Marius on Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:04 am

Avete amici!

I'm about to date myself back to the Upper Paleolithic here, but...does anyone remember the SVR Newsletter?

I just found it as I was thumping around on the server. It was the coolest thing: It was supposed to come out every other month or so. The first issue was 13 pages long, for which reason we sometimes called it a magazine. It was published in PDF format, nicely-formatted, illustrated, and we were considering posting a digest version right here on the Board. It had the following sections:

Editorial (Editor's comments, natch)
Trivia (newsbits from or sent in by regular members--say, archaeological discoveries or gatherings to be announced)
Message from the Consules
Two essays; in the first issue they were:
-- M Horatius Piscinus, "The Fasces of Rome"
-- P Dionysius Mus, "Measuring Time in Ancient Rome"
Cartoon
News from the Collegia (short updates from the Rectores about any activities or interesting discussions)
Another essay (first issue: "Kronos", by Q Aurelius Orcus)
Interview (profiling one member; the first one was Gnaeus Draco)
Message from the Magistrate of the Month (a Censor, an Aedile...)
Review Section (first issue: Piscinus on "Caesar", the TV mini-series)
Games (that month we had a Latin word-puzzle)

Sadly, we only ever came out with that one issue. I think it was a victim of its distribution channels; to get one, you had to e-mail the Editor. But I won't make you do that; here's the URL:

http://www.societasviaromana.net/svr_mag_1_july2003.pdf

Warning: It's kinda big (825K). But worth it!

As of the first issue, the magazine still needed a name, an editor, contributors for next issue, and a contact address. We were going to put on a naming contest: A sodalis would send the suggestion along with his or her Roman name, what country they were from, and their reason for picking that name. The Senate was to decide; the winner would have been announced in the next issue, and would get a small but nice prize. (I recently designed some SVR bookmarks that I've been itching to give away once they are printed. I might send one to each person who enters the contest; but then we'll need to come up with something niftier for the winner!) >({|;-)

We were even going to set up a separate area of the Board just for the newsletter. We could talk about it, post things to include in it, tell the editor what we thought of the latest issue...anything related.

I really enjoyed the first one, and wished it had been continued. Is this something that omnes sodales might be interested in resuming? There are three or four different "Newsletter" topics scattered around the Forum, but I thought I'd consolidate them here. If we start it up again, it will be an "Ongoing Project"!

In amicitia et fide (and with something on his mind besides the Valerian Revolution! <g>),
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

..mea culpa...

Postby Aldus Marius on Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:15 am

(Oops...shoulda unlocked the topic if I wanted any replies, huh? --There; it's fixed now.)

>({(:-)
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Re: Ongoing projects

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:28 am

Salvete, Quirites.

Putting aside for a moment my proper dignity as an officer of this solemn and pious institution, may I just say that -

The new phpBB3 board is k-y-e-w-w-w-l ! :D
:party: Woo-hoo !
Valerius Claudius Iohannes
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Centurio Honorarius Societatis
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

:: Adversitas bono viro intelligentiam docet. ::
Valerius Claudius Iohanes
Curator
Curator

Location: Sancti Leandri Oppidum, California Franciscencis, Conpactae Civitates Americae

Postby Aldus Marius on Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:23 am

He LIKES it! Hey Mikey!!*

>({|:-D >({|:-D >({|:-D

*reference to commercial for a brand of cereal and the choosy little brother whom his sibs draft to try it.
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:20 am

(Ahhh, I'm of an old enough vintage to have seen that ad when it first appeared!)

Aldus Marius wrote:He LIKES it! Hey Mikey!!*

>({|:-D >({|:-D >({|:-D

*reference to commercial for a brand of cereal and the choosy little brother whom his sibs draft to try it.
Valerius Claudius Iohannes
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Centurio Honorarius Societatis
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

:: Adversitas bono viro intelligentiam docet. ::
Valerius Claudius Iohanes
Curator
Curator

Location: Sancti Leandri Oppidum, California Franciscencis, Conpactae Civitates Americae

Postby UrsusofUNRV on Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:21 am

What are you guys looking for as far as content for your webpage? The original post was over 4 years ago, but I assume anything relevant to Roman history and culture is still open?
UrsusofUNRV
I. Auxiliary
I. Auxiliary

Return to General