The supreme un-glitch

The main forum of the Societas Via Romana. Anything not covered by one of the Collegia is probably being discussed here!

Moderator: Aldus Marius

The supreme un-glitch

Postby Aldus Marius on Fri Mar 05, 2004 4:27 am

Salvete omnes...

...et
AAAAAAARRRRRRGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!

Do forgive the holler (the Forum still stands, I can't have been that frustrated), but...my cynico.net e-addy stopped working in mid-February, and I have only just discovered the fact.

My Web site, the Roman Outpost, has also been hosted on cynico.net, entirely satisfactorily until a couple of weeks ago; it, too, is decaying around the edges, and I shall have to move it elsewhere very soon (any ideas...?).

I'm not sure what the cause is. Has my gracious host run out of room on the server? Has cynico.net itself gone out of business? Or have I simply neglected things too long?

I wrote my gracious host a few days ago to inquire what I should do with the Outpost; but if he tried to reply to my cynico.net address, I'd have lost that too.

The upshot of it is: If anyone has wired me at

<marius@cynico.net>

after 11 February and is still awaiting a reply, your e-gram probably got eaten by the Beast. I haven't seen it. Please send or re-send to

<marius_peregrine@yahoo.com>

until I figure out something more suitable for long-term use. I'll notify the Societas what that is when I get it.

All who wire me regularly, please update your address books accordingly.

With apologies for any frustrations caused or headaches given,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

An Extended Tech Ritual...

Postby Aldus Marius on Tue Mar 09, 2004 3:06 am

Avete, amici/amicae!!

A friend wrote me:

> Friday, I sent you two e-mails that were returned. Let's see if
> you get this.

I did, I did! When she wired me Friday, I had not yet figured out the problem, other than that cynico.net was kaput. Friday evening I troubleshot and fixed my Yahoo addy...from behind the counter at my comic book store, on an Apple!

Basically, when cynico.net died, my YahooMail reverted to previous settings...and began forwarding messages back to swbell.net. That's the one I lost while I was in jail, 'member...?, and the only dealings I've had with the parent co. have been in court. I haven't had that account in three years. But that's where everybody's e-grams have been going. Now that I have corrected the forwarding, my YahooMail is working just fine.

I've also subscribed to a Web hosting service (cynico.net had my Page, remember?), and have an e-addy attached to that. Here they both are, for easy reference:

-- Yahoo: <marius_peregrine@yahoo.com>
-- My own domain: <marius@romanoutpost.org>

If anyone has had a message returned that they tried to send me between Friday's announcement and today's, both these addies have been extensively road-tested; do please retransmit!

I will mostly be sending from the Roman Outpost. (I like that image. Dispatches from the Outpost! >({|:-) ) But all my incoming mail ends up in my Yahoo box, so you can use whichever addy is less of a pain to type!

My Page will be getting tuned-up and posted over the next few to several weeks.

Still here, and still keepin' up with the tumbleweeds...
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Message from the Outpost!

Postby Aldus Marius on Sat Apr 03, 2004 12:42 am

Salvete, amici...!

I know I've been a bit of a grouch on the Board lately, but it's only because I've been working myself to happy exhaustion preparing the thing announced herein. And I'm wishing I'd given this topic another name; or, failing that, that I still had a way to rename it once it was out of the formative stage. For my news this evening is not about a Glitch. Indeed, it concerns a supreme Un-Glitch. Something has gone massively Right. Here it is:

My humble Page, the Roman Outpost, is now installed in its new quarters. It has been updated and greatly expanded, with many new articles and external links. Like any decent site, it is still a work-in-progress, but after the last week and a half I believe I've now made it at least fit to be seen. It may be visited at

http://romanoutpost.org/index.htm

Yess!! --I have my Own Domain!! It's almost all there, including an almost-Huge Gallery. Only the Roleplaying and Resources sections still need a lot of work, but I'm on it!

So: Come One, Come All who Walk or Crawl...although if yer crawlin', some capsarius (medic) is probably going to pick you up and carry you to the valetudinarium (dispensary)...! <g>

In amicitia et fide (Love those Gladiator rules!),
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Sat Apr 03, 2004 10:38 am

How about links from and to SVR? :P

Draco
Gn. Dionysius Draco Invictus
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Tiberius Dionysius Draco on Sat Apr 03, 2004 10:39 am

Salve Mare,

I changed the topic name, I hope you like it.

By the way, do you think you could add a link to the SVR on your website? It would be most appreciated!

Vale bene,
Tiberius Dionysius Draco
Tiberius Dionysius Draco
Curator
Curator

Postby Horatius Piscinus on Sun Apr 04, 2004 8:54 pm

Salve mi amice

Nice to see the site up and running once more. So have you plans for any new additions?

Vale et bonam habe fortunam
M Horatius Piscinus

Sapere aude!
Horatius Piscinus
Curialis
Curialis

New Add's

Postby Aldus Marius on Sun Apr 04, 2004 11:50 pm

Salvete amici exploratores!

There is actually quite a bit of new material already, but as it is not marked as such this will be plain only to those familiar with the site in its previous incarnations. Some highlights:

-- My Latin materials in the Antiquities section
    -- A Latin Dictionary, previously unavailable anywhere, that can be incorporated into your Spellchecker
    -- Lots of new images in the Gallery, including some Roman ones (more to follow)
    -- My Sherwood story has now been completely and properly converted from text to HTML; I plan to do the same with 'Life With the Legions'
    -- Oh, yeah: 'Life With the Legions' is now on-site too!
    -- Marius Peregrine's Excellent Historical-Fiction Reading List
    -- Historical Re-Creation section is almost all-new: several original essays and two bibliographies have been added, and my Legion List, while outdated at the moment, is available again for the first time in a couple of years
    -- A small but growing list of Resources (This section shall be of particular interest to me this week, as I surf for more Rottenly Roman Delights)

As to an SVR link...I am an approved member of the SVR WebRing; have been for a couple of years. I was asked not to display the Ring's emblem upon first acceptance due to the ticklish relationship between myself and the OP at that time and a desire not to see said ticklishness spill over onto the SVR should they be able to access us through my Pages.

Like a too-dutiful dog on a long Down-Stay, I still await my (Web)master's word that it is okay now for me to display the emblem; and, my 'good' copy of the thing having gone up in smoke with the CMOS battery of my original Laptop, I shall also need another sample of the code fragment and images for the badge. I shall then display it on my homepage, most Proudly!!

In amicitia et (way too much) Fide,
Last edited by Aldus Marius on Wed Apr 07, 2004 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Plots and Devices

Postby Aldus Marius on Wed Apr 07, 2004 3:03 am

Salvete amici!

On the SVR link, I actually have a whole new, 'nother section planned around it. The section will be called Outpost, and where it used to refer to my Bulletin Board of the same name, it will now contain links to the SVR; to the SVR Forum; and to various articles I have posted on the Forum and on the old Topica Lists. I would like to include posts by others that I found to be especially informative; I may be contacting some of you for permissions in the next several weeks.

I'm still looking for a good place to put my OP materials. I have debated whether to include them with Antiquities, with Historical Re-Creation, or (horresco referens!!) in the Role-playing section. I think the Pile's main grievance against me was that I'd been a roleplayer, and maybe they thought my presence there was going to hurt their 'respectability'. Ha. Assigning them to my site's RP section--as an example of a LARP (Live-Action Role-Play) gone Very Bad--would be appropriate revenge, nonne...? OTOH, I may be pushing things already by including my sketch of Centaur "Lucius Equitius" in the Gallery. I like the name; it sounds Romanly-Centaurian. Is it my fault that the OP-er my character shares it with thinks of himself as a horse's-ass?

Right now I'm leaning towards putting my mini-Piles in Historical Re-creation. They'll be a good fit with reenactors and the SCA. I do not intend to trot out the whole sorry saga of my time with them; only enough to give an idea of what I went through there, and perhaps to serve as a warning-sign to anyone contemplating applying for Citizenship in that Place.

I can't seem to find an image of the SVR Webring badge anywhere on the Societas' site; does said Webring still exist, or did it go the way of the Member Photo Album?

In fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Gnaeus Dionysius Draco on Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:39 am

Salve Mari,

Yes, I think the webring was done away with when Locatus redesigned the site and I didn't bring it back when I redid the site.

Hmm and "respectability" and "the OP" don't go well together. I see their main page still boasts "LATINO" as a language. I wonder what Latino is. Is it Ladino, the language of the Sephardic jews? Or is it an attempt to write Latinum, as in "the language we all think is important but keep butchering completely"? We might never know... one of the mysteries of life I guess.

Vale!
Draco
Gn. Dionysius Draco Invictus
Gnaeus Dionysius Draco
Curialis
Curialis

Latino

Postby Aldus Marius on Thu Apr 08, 2004 12:26 am

Ave, mi Draco...

Further proof that Latin is indeed still alive: Every time the Pile takes a hatchet to it, it cries out in pain! >({|:-D -- lol

So what do I do about the Webring...? The page for it is still on Bravenet.com <http://pub39.bravenet.com/sitering/show.php?>; I tried to Edit my listing but was told I needed a password...

In fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Outpost Update

Postby Aldus Marius on Wed Apr 14, 2004 1:39 am

Heia, Sodales...!

Thught you'd like to know where I'm at in relocating the Outpost:

Ericius sent me this delicious link...

>From RomanArmy list. Impressive.
>
> http://www.legionsix.org/Real%20Gear.htm

...just in time for my Resources page. (As you may know, I've been working like a mad mother dog on my humble Page, which was recently transferred to a server *I can actually access* for additions and updates.) RealGear isn't on the site yet, but that's because I just started rebuilding the Resources section.

Done, for now:
-- Antiquities
-- Creative Research
-- Historical Re-Creation (I need to update Legion List)
-- Gallery

Still workin' on:
-- Resources (next couple of weeks)
-- Role-playing Games (this one's gonna take awhile)
-- The Outpost (new section to be invented from scratch)

Go visit <http://romanoutpost.org/index.htm> and tell me how I'm doing!!

'Ma-aa, Marius's bein' a Roman again... Make 'im quit it...!'
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Outpost Update

Postby Aldus Marius on Fri Apr 23, 2004 12:45 am

Salvete, amici!

New on the Outpost: LINKS! Loads of external Links! On almost every page! (Even the poor, thin Roleplaying section got a bunch of 'em.) This is what I've been up to for the last two weeks: link-checking and consolidating all my old bookmark files, some of 'em five years old (yeah, I surfed for a living, then). Searching for the ones that were no longer at their last known address. (I'm not done with that, btw; so there will be more things added in coming weeks.) Links to museums, to reenactor Legions, to archeological digs...and to makers of Latin-phrase T-shirts and military miniatures. Links!!

Cives Romani WebRing reinstatement is pending... I was on there a few years ago, but to my chagrin I have since fallen off.

Oh, and I think you'll like the little tweak I added to the bottom of the home page. You guys wanted it--you guys got it. >({|;-)

In amicitia et fide (and feeling like a Platonic Aedile),
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Re: Outpost Update

Postby Tiberius Dionysius Draco on Sat Apr 24, 2004 11:00 pm

Marius Peregrinus wrote:Oh, and I think you'll like the little tweak I added to the bottom of the home page. You guys wanted it--you guys got it. >({|;-)

:D
Tiberius Dionysius Draco
Tiberius Dionysius Draco
Curator
Curator

'Nother New Feature

Postby Aldus Marius on Wed Apr 28, 2004 1:52 am

Avete amici!

The Roman Outpost is now open for feedback: Marius has a Guestbook.

The link is at the bottom of the home page, next to the bumper sticker that says "Support Our Troops!". Your entries will not appear right away; I have it set to where I must review all entries before publishing them. Not to be a "soup Nazi" (I'll explain in a minute), but I wanted to avoid the kind of problems a nostalgic visit from, e.g., the OP's Festus might bring. Anything civilized will see the light of day, and that means just about anything from just about any of you.

(The Soup Nazi is this famous old guy who works at a soup kitchen in New York City and has definite, strong ideas about how homeless people ought to behave when in line for his offerings. If they don't mind their manners, order quickly and crisply, carry the tray just so, et cetera, he refuses them service. I don't admire this chap.)

I am probably going to slack off on the site for a bit. I've been busting hindquarter on it for a couple of months, and it has arrived at a satisfactory state of being for the moment. If the urge strikes and I find myself up in the wee hours adding something else cool, so be it. And there's still that RP material to be whipped into shape! (Patientia tecum, fratres; I had to convert them from Word Perfect 6.0 DOS version [YES!! They're that old!!] to something Win98 could deal with; and now they must become HTML. Quality Takes Time!)

In fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

New at the Outpost

Postby Aldus Marius on Tue May 04, 2004 2:34 am

Salvete!

New at the Outpost: RP Section Gains Muscle!

I have added the firstings of what will eventually be a massive project: my AD&D world of Roma Subterranea, "Sub-Roma" for short. There are an Intro and Overview, a History of the Legions (which says quite a bit about the history of the community as a whole), an Encounter Table for the area 'upstairs' of the City proper, and a write-up for one of the Sub-Roman World's most powerful artifacts.

I know, I know, I said I'd leave the poor Page alone for a bit...but I was browsing through my files at home, and those four were just sitting up and begging to be taken along, and the RP section did need the help, and anyway I never could resist puppy-dog eyes, not even digital ones... >({|;-)

Enjoy!
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Lament.

Postby Aldus Marius on Fri Sep 03, 2004 3:54 am

** howls **

My Web page is gone.

The Roman Outpost, online almost continuously for nine years, vanished the day before yesterday, a victim, perhaps, of a billing mix-up.

I am in communication with the Web host, and we are trying to figure out what has happened. I did notice that no payments had been deducted from my bank account since June. I do not know why that is, though I have a theory.

My host has been responding very quickly indeed, so hopefully I'll be back up and running soon. In the meantime, address all e-mail to my Yahoo account: <marius_peregrine@yahoo.com> .
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Update.

Postby Aldus Marius on Sat Sep 18, 2004 11:37 pm

I made the Lamentations go Away. I was half out of my mind when I wrote that, so now you've seen me at my worst and most mawkish.

I am pleased to report that I am in much better case today. My carus amicus T Labienus Fortunatus has offered me the opportunity to soak up some of his Web space. Fortunately, while fascinating<g>, my site is not large! I shall, of course, take him up on his kind offer; and as soon as I make some updates and figure out how to get it to him, the Roman Outpost, having pulled up stakes, shall establish itself once again even closer to the barbarians.

(I am currently considering gearing up and making the ten-day march down to San Antonio so that I can hand-deliver it to him on a single floppy disk. And I'd probably even get dinner!) >({|;-) - - just kidding

In fide (and a lot less pain),
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Tiberius Dionysius Draco on Sat Sep 18, 2004 11:42 pm

I'm glad to hear that your site is still alive and kicking Marius :)
Tiberius Dionysius Draco
Tiberius Dionysius Draco
Curator
Curator

New Roman Outpost URL!

Postby Aldus Marius on Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:49 am

Salvete Romani!

New URL for the Roman Outpost:

http://labienus.home.texas.net/RomanOutpost/

And I've made T Labienus Fortunatus one of my household gods for the rest of the year. >({|:-)

More stuff in the Roleplay section, chiefly Roma Subterranea material and character-sheet conversions for several different games. Minor-to-medium additions and updates elsewhere.

And I got rid of the guestbook, which nobody was using anyway.

Back in the fray (BOO-Yah!!!) is...
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Sneaking back in through the pet-door

Postby Aldus Marius on Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:09 am

Salvete, amici Romani!

My humble Page, the Roman Outpost, is still at http://labienus.home.texas.net ...but not for much longer. Now that Octavius is hosting us, he's cut me a wee slice of his digital pie. Ita, the Outpost returneth to cynico.net! And now that I've got all that good Webmaster software, I can actually edit and update things.

So here's the well-groomed version:

http://romanoutpost.org

Yup, same domain as before. Nobody snagged it in the meantime. It was waiting for me, mon! >({|:-D

In amicitia et fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Return to General