Would it be cool...

The main forum of the Societas Via Romana. Anything not covered by one of the Collegia is probably being discussed here!

Moderator: Aldus Marius

Would it be cool...

Postby Annia Minucia Marcella on Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:13 am

...if you changed the theme of this message board? It's the default phpbb theme and it's rather boring. I think something a little more creative, or something like the rest of the website would look better.

Plus I don't like blue.

I can do this if you guys want, I'm pretty good at installing templates.
Annia Minucia Marcella
II. Legionary
II. Legionary

Re: Would it be cool...

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:06 am

Salve, Minucia Marcella -

Actually, there's an old thread on this - and there's even a "demo" site that Marius set up for us to test the color-schemes and so on.

http://www.phpbb.com/styles/demo/3.0/index.php

But looking around on that site, I see a lot of user-created(?) themes and so on. I don't see why we couldn't do up an SVR theme/style/ whatever for ourselves.

Annia Marcella - Do you want to work with me on this?
Valerius Claudius Iohannes
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Centurio Honorarius Societatis
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

:: Adversitas bono viro intelligentiam docet. ::
Valerius Claudius Iohanes
Curator
Curator

Location: Sancti Leandri Oppidum, California Franciscencis, Conpactae Civitates Americae

Postby Annia Minucia Marcella on Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:36 am

sure
Annia Minucia Marcella
II. Legionary
II. Legionary

Postby Annia Minucia Marcella on Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:01 am

ok so....what's next?
Annia Minucia Marcella
II. Legionary
II. Legionary

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:56 pm

Salve, Annia -

(Thanks for the nudge.) I've looked at the existing choices (the demo). One of the red styles looked okay; seemed to me we could do better. Color-wise, I'm thinking RED, amber, and some dark contraster, whether heavy brown, or black, or whatever. And I think we need to get the SVR logo up into the banner area up top.

I know a bit of html but have never dived into styles like this before. I went on to the phpbb homepage and looked around a bit. They themselves seem to be of two minds about users customizing styles and so on - on one hand, Yeah! Sure! Do it! and on the other, Look out! Danger!Stop screwing up! http://www.phpbb.com/styles/

As to their existing styles, have you looked at any of these yet? http://www.phpbb.com/styles/db/index.php?i=browse&mode=group:color&sub=red Let me know what you think.

Bene vale.
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

Curator
Curator

Location: Sancti Leandri Oppidum, California Franciscencis, Conpactae Civitates Americae

Postby Annia Minucia Marcella on Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:16 pm

They look ok. I recently did a demo forum and website for Nova Roma. Here it is:

http://heathenworkshop.com/novaromaforums/

I could do something similar to SVR, with the colors you specified.
Annia Minucia Marcella
II. Legionary
II. Legionary

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:08 pm

That would be great. >({|:-)

Since I haven't done any of this myself, it wasn't clear to me whether it was simple and automated or iffy and roll-up-your-IT-sleeves type stuff. Do you want to do up a "draft"?
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

Curator
Curator

Postby Annia Minucia Marcella on Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:31 am

what do you mean by draft?
Annia Minucia Marcella
II. Legionary
II. Legionary

A Draft?

Postby Aldus Marius on Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:47 am

Salvete amici,

Noster Iohannes, of course, would be the best person to tell us what he means by a "draft"; but I wouldn't mind seeing a mockup of some kind, an image (maybe a screenshot) of the proposed theme, with the custom SVR elements pasted in via an image editor.

I regard our basic color-scheme as being: Black, amber, white, and that deep red that we've got on the sidebar of our Web site. The gold-on-black logo is our nicest one; a gold background, like on the business cards I did up for the Curatores, is also an option for areas not containing large amounts of text.

Whatever we go with, do keep it usable for the visually-impaired (like Marius). Good contrast, an easy-on-the-eye color-scheme, and the ability to resize the text are a must. Also, there's no reason not to download more than one theme; we could add any or all of the ones Sodales have said they liked on the demo-theme thread Iohannes mentioned.

Mi Minucia, I am so pleased that you have made this offer. A lot of things haven't been done on the site and on this Board for the simple reason that I don't know how. The efforts of others who are more technically adept than I are always appreciated. >({|:-)

In amicitia,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Annia Minucia Marcella on Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:10 pm

Instead of doing a mock-up(which would be a pain in the ass), how about you let me work a design on these forums directly? It'd be a lot easier that way.
Annia Minucia Marcella
II. Legionary
II. Legionary

Postby Annia Minucia Marcella on Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:26 am

So, unless one of you guys tells Matt Hucke to give me access to the cpanel and/or full FTP access I can't do much with this design.
Annia Minucia Marcella
II. Legionary
II. Legionary

Postby Aldus Marius on Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:29 am

*sigh*

Workin' on it...see the PM I left you. Might help, might not, but I wouldn't post 'em here.

In fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:22 pm

Salve, Annia -

Of course, by 'draft' I meant a first version. Since I hail from the pen & pencil, rubber-cement & sliderule era, I think in terms of doing roughs and drafts and mock-ups before anything final.

At this point, with Marius's grants of additional rights, have you been able to get in and try anything? I'm guessing - as you said - that we'll need Matt H.'s intervention, but let us know.

Optime vale.
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

Curator
Curator

Postby Aldus Marius on Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:46 pm

Salve, mi Iohanne, et Salvete omnes...

As they say in those romantic comedies: "It's not you, it's not me, it just didn't work out." Rather not go into the details here. Yes, we needed Octavius. Let's just say I'm still on a roll for mess-ups, diplomatic and otherwise.

Next project...? [he said grimly]
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Annia Minucia Marcella on Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:23 am

Unless you have full FTP access or a cpanel, you will have some trouble installing a new template. If you want to use this template but with different colours, you can do that via the admin panel, but you wouldn'tbe able to change the graphics. You could also ask matt to give you a new template, since it's highly probable that he'd have the necessary access.
Annia Minucia Marcella
II. Legionary
II. Legionary

Return to General