Roman symbol

The main forum of the Societas Via Romana. Anything not covered by one of the Collegia is probably being discussed here!

Moderator: Aldus Marius

Roman symbol

Postby Annia Minucia Marcella on Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:06 am

In heathenry, we use a thor's hammer or an irminsul as a symbol of our religion. Christians use a cross ro a fish, jews use a 6 pointed star, wiccan use a pentacle. So what would roman pagans use?

I'm just curious.
Annia Minucia Marcella
II. Legionary
II. Legionary

Re: Roman symbol

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:01 am

Perhaps, given that the Religio was so tightly intertwined with the Roman polity and people, just SPQR, or the Eagle, or Lupina Mater, emblems of the city and state. Or perhaps by the image of Roma Victrix, as on coins.

And to the extent the Religio was originally nature- and numina-related, it could have been expressed by the very lack of a defined symbol. That is to say, the powers weren't originally so antropomorphic, but immanent and mystic.

I would think that having to have a single symbol for the Religio was not an issue then - they didn't have bumper-stickers and next-door competition in social/religious matters. Nowadays -- hmmmm. >({|;-)
Valerius Claudius Iohannes
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Centurio Honorarius Societatis
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

:: Adversitas bono viro intelligentiam docet. ::
Valerius Claudius Iohanes
Curator
Curator

Location: Sancti Leandri Oppidum, California Franciscencis, Conpactae Civitates Americae

Postby Annia Minucia Marcella on Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:44 am

Those are good ideas, yea.

Let's say we had a roman pagan in the military(which I know there are), if that soldier died in combat, what symbol would be put on their gravestone? The eagle sounds best for that, I think.
Annia Minucia Marcella
II. Legionary
II. Legionary

Postby Cleopatra Aelia on Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:26 pm

I wear a lunula pendant on a necklace but this is most likely something of the Germanic provinces. When I was asatru I wore a Thor's hammer necklace as well.
Cleopatra Aelia
alias Medusa Gladiatrix
Cleopatra Aelia
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Aldus Marius on Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:39 am

Salvete amici!

The Eagle and the Wolf-and-Twins are instantly identifiable with Rome. Each of the Gods also had his or her "attributes", items that were included in representations of them that identified who they were. Mercury's staff, Iupiter's eagle or lightning-bolts, and the mirror of Venus are a few examples of symbols a person could wear if they felt an affinity for a particular deity.

For a grave-marker, an eagle with wreath would work, or the animal-symbol of a Legion. But there's also my personal favorite: the plain D*M (dis manibus) inscription found on many actual stelae.

In fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby C.AeliusEricius on Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:17 pm

I've been wearing a triskelion pendant for many years now, though few recognise it as a religious symbol, it is also the symbolof Sicilia and the Isle of Man.

I have thought on this question for some time now and it comes to just about all that has been mentioned in the other replies to this thread. Another idea I've had is the deities name in a tabula ansata, like the way one often sees >|SPQR|<

>|MINERVA|<

>|MERCURIUS|<

something like that.
C.AeliusEricius
II. Legionary
II. Legionary

Postby Spurius Mamilius Lucanus on Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:09 pm

I'm thinking the Head of Janus!
Sp. Mamilius Lucanus

'Know Thyself.' -Delphic Maxim
Spurius Mamilius Lucanus
I. Auxiliary
I. Auxiliary

Janus

Postby Aldus Marius on Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:30 pm

Salvete omnes,

I like that, mi Lucane--I *like* that!

Janus, the god of doorways...of thresholds...of boundaries. Janus, who sees into the past and the future. Why not Janus, who sees the deeds of the soldier and their future impact, and who is eminently (if not traditionally) qualified to see him across the boundary between life and afterwards, however the soldier envisions it?

Mehercule, if I weren't intent on being buried at sea, I'd ask for that one myself...!

(Marius wants to be a fossil when he grows up. He sees his best chances of that in the sediments accumulating under the Gulf of Texas.)
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Spurius Mamilius Lucanus on Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:26 am

Of course, just as we look to the Roman past for inspiration and yet we are in the present modern day and also must look to the future...
Sp. Mamilius Lucanus

'Know Thyself.' -Delphic Maxim
Spurius Mamilius Lucanus
I. Auxiliary
I. Auxiliary

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:00 pm

Janus is good.

Aldus Marius wrote:(Marius wants to be a fossil when he grows up....)

LOL. Are you thinking trilobite or perhaps palaeolycus - ?!
Valerius Claudius Iohannes
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Centurio Honorarius Societatis
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

:: Adversitas bono viro intelligentiam docet. ::
Valerius Claudius Iohanes
Curator
Curator

Location: Sancti Leandri Oppidum, California Franciscencis, Conpactae Civitates Americae

Return to General