When in Rome... (a Travelogue)

The main forum of the Societas Via Romana. Anything not covered by one of the Collegia is probably being discussed here!

Moderator: Aldus Marius

When in Rome... (a Travelogue)

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:38 am

Well, she was only off by a factor of 4, eh? That she even knew who Caesar was is something good. I find I'm always giving my kids history lessons: my son will confuse WWI and Vietnam, in terms of the timeline.
Valerius Claudius Iohannes
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Centurio Honorarius Societatis
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

:: Adversitas bono viro intelligentiam docet. ::
Valerius Claudius Iohanes
Curator
Curator

Location: Sancti Leandri Oppidum, California Franciscencis, Conpactae Civitates Americae

Re: When in Rome

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:19 pm

Salve, Formose -

A delightful encounter, that one was, and lovely to read of. The single time I was in Europa, I had a couple of good moments that I keep (the actual souvenirs are in our memories).

But I never went to Rome during that trip. In my younger days, an immature age 20, I was a bit of nervous wreck, and having heard stories of the crowds of Rome, and being also ignorant at that time of what I might enjoy in Rome - for I was convinced that the forum was even less in evidence than it actually was - it turned me away from my one chance to go. And I have yet to make it up!

It's a pity we haven't each of us more denarii so that we could all meet there - you and Lucia Livia Plauta might even alternate days as our guides to enjoying the City.

Optime vale.
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

Curator
Curator

Location: Sancti Leandri Oppidum, California Franciscencis, Conpactae Civitates Americae

Re: When in Rome

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:50 am

I love cemetaries. I have a fetish for monuments to begin with; and then the thought of all those people's lives - their stories, their fevers, and all fevers being now past for them - all buoys me up. And then there are always a few surprises, whether headstone particulars, rhymes or odd remarks in the inscriptions, thoughtful epitaphs, and so on. 8)

Formose - You ARE a romantic soul: willing to storm the heavens and complain directly to Iuppiter, I should think. :wink:
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

Curator
Curator

Graveyards

Postby Aldus Marius on Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:06 am

Salve, mi Iohanne, et Salvete omnes!

> I love cemetaries. I have a fetish for monuments to begin with; and then the thought of all those people's lives...

Our Gracious Host, M Octavius Gracchus, shares your enthusiasm, as do I. He has, in fact, been photographing graveyards for over a dozen years. This is the other half of his life besides Rome. He's no amateur either: he's got a book out, Graveyards of Chicago, and I believe is working on another covering southern Illinois. His images are evocative, atmospheric, some inspirational, and all of them touching. I love them. Here's his site: http://www.graveyards.com/ . Venite, videte, et fruimini!

In amicitia et fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Return to General