Hilarious Lovers of Ancient Rome Jokes

The main forum of the Societas Via Romana. Anything not covered by one of the Collegia is probably being discussed here!

Moderator: Aldus Marius

Re: Hilarious Lovers of Ancient Rome Jokes

Postby Aldus Marius on Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:12 am

Salvete iterum, amici iocosi!

You know you love ancient history a little too much when ...

...someone asks you about the Civil War and you say "Which one? We had three worthy of the mention, and one of 'em lasted almost a hundred years!"

> We Romans bear a heavy load. It's a good thing we invented the Internet...

Actually, and Al Gore notwithstanding, we *did* have those long chains of signal towers...smoke signals by day, fires by night. Can you say "binary information transmitted over a wide-area network"? I thought so...! (Of course, the baud-rate stank...sigh.)

In [Latin word for geekiness...did we ever come up with one? There was a thread where someone asked about it...]
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Formosus Viriustus on Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:38 pm

Salve,

Yessss,

WE know where they got the idea for the Gatling gun from, who invented the steam engine and concrete and ....

(background) : Now, you know what the Doctor has said ! You have to stop this Roman nonsense !

Vale,
(your long-suffering friend)
Formosus Viriustus

Postby Formosus Viriustus on Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:01 pm

Salve,

Just one more. I won't do it again, I promise.

Judge :
'As to the ''excessive number of e-mail accounts with fictitious Roman names''-charge, how does the defendant plead ?'

Defendant Viriustus ( head bowed, mumbles ) :
'Guilty, M'lord.'

Judge :
'Does the defendant has anything to say in his defense ?'

Defendant Viriustus ( hesitantly ) :
'Well, you know M'lord, I tried to fight it, but I had the urge. Well, then ... one day I gave in ... And once you go down that road, M'lord ... you know ... you think ... well, what's one more ? And so you have another one and an other one, and before you know it, you're up to three, four accounts a day. You know you have to stop it, but you can't. You know you're going to end up in court one day, but you do it anyway .... But I am determined to change my life around, M'lord ... if you would just give me another chance ...'

Judge :
'Sentence will be passed, one week from today.' 'Next case.'

Vale,
Formosus Viriustus

Previous

Return to General