Fasti

The main forum of the Societas Via Romana. Anything not covered by one of the Collegia is probably being discussed here!

Moderator: Aldus Marius

Fasti: First week of November

Postby Aldus Marius on Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:57 am

The Fasti for Saturday, 1 November:

KALENDS NOVEMBRIS [F]
Notes:
[F] Fastus: Comitia, no; Courts, yes.
- Every Kalends is sacred to Iuno: "Vindicat Ausonias Iunonis cura kalendas..." (Ovidius)
- The relative lack of feriae in November is offset by the Ludi Plebeii, usually 4 November to 17 November.

* Ludi in Circo: Isia - inventio Osiris, the Passion of Isis in searching for the dismembered parts of Osiris.
"Vetches, kidney beans and arugula should be sown after the setting of the Lyre. It is generally recommended that this should be done under a New Moon." (Pliny, Nat. Hist. 18.74).

For Sunday, 2 November:

Ante Diem IV Nonae Novembres [F]
Notes:
Dies Ater (unlucky):
  • Gods or Goddesses should not be invoked by name while indoors, and no celestial God or Goddess should be invoked by name while outdoors.
  • Sacrifices should not be made.
  • These days are ill-omened to begin any new project since any new project would necessarily begin by performing a rite calling for the assistance of the gods. Such religious rites, beginning something new, are not to be performed.
  • Avoid making journeys, or doing anything risky.
NOTA BENE:Normal work would still be performed on dies atri, and as part of performing any work one performs rites for the patron deities, geni locii, and other appropriate deities. Likewise, the daily routine is also performed before the lararium.

* Isia inventio Osiris. As above, Isis's quest for Osiris's fragmented body.
* Birth of Plato, 428 BCE.
"Rather than seek apparent prosperity that fortune may bring, seek to govern the mind well." (Livy 42.62.11.)

For Monday, 3 November:

ante diem III Nonas Novembres [C]

* Hilaria, Isiac harvest festival. "O Isis, who dwells in Paraetonium and the genial fields of Canopus, in Memphis and palm-rich Pharos, and where the broad Nile swiftly disgorges into the salty sea through seven mouths, may Osiris always love your pious rites, may the serpent ever glide slowly nearby to bless Your altar gifts, and the horned Apis ever walk beside You in procession." (Ovid, Amores II 13.7-14).
* Clodius attacks the houses of Marcus Cicero and his brother Quintus on the Palatine, 56 BCE.

For Tuesday, 4 November:

Pridie Nonas Novembres [C]

* Ludi Plebii, celebrated with chariot races in honor of Jupiter Optimus Maximus, first established in 220 BCE.
* Martyrdom of the Pagans: Theodosius
(yeah, him again) orders all pagans put to death, 451 CE.

Wednesday, 5 November:

Nonae Novembres [F]
Notes:
[F] Fastus (comitia: no; courts: yes)

"O Iuppiter, who does cherish and nurture the human race, through whom we live and draw the breath of being, in whom rest the hopes and lives of all humankind, I beg you to grant that this day may prosper that which I have in hand." (Plautus, Poenulus 1187-89)

Thursday the 6th:

Ante Diem VIII Idus Novembris [F], Dies Ater
Notes:
The days after the Kalends, the Nones and the Ides were considered ater because many calamities for the Roman state fell on those days. All were subject to the same restrictions on activity as those listed for Sunday the 3rd.

* Ludi Plebii.
"People of the countryside are of the opinion that arugula should not be sown after the departure of the stork." (Pliny, Nat. Hist. 18.74).

And for Friday the 7th:

ante diem VII Idus Novembres [C]

* Ludi Plebii (cont'd): "Priapus, a large cup of milk and this libum bread is all you can expect each year, guardian of a pauper’s garden!" (Virgil, Eclogues 7:33-34)

If houseplants count, I've been a gardening pauper from time to time m'self...but, alas, things with roots don't much lend themselves to migratory urges! >({|;-)

In fide, Marius.
(and the Draecena, and the Spathiphyllum, and the bamboo, and the Haworthia, and the air fern, and the Zygocactus)
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Fasti: Second Week of November

Postby Aldus Marius on Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:19 am

Salvete iterum, amici Romani! I'm still transferring these a week at a time to maintain the Roman year's continuity from the old Forum to the new. Can't have a hole in the calendar, now, can we? >({(:-)

The Fasti for Saturday, 8 November 2761/2008:

Ante Diem VI Idus Novembres [C]
Notes:
[C] Comitialis est Dies: Comitia, yes; Courts, yes.

* Mania: Mundus Patet, the opening of Ceres’ mundus.
Hanc paginam vide ut notare possetis de 'Mania': http://www.wilsonsalmanac.com/book/oct5.html
* Cicero’s condemnation of Cataline before the Senate, 63 BCE.
* Birth of Nerva, 30 CE.
[Qui primus fuit ex 'Quinque Bonis Imperatoribus']
* Theodosius bans sacrifices and lararium rites, 392 CE.

For Sunday, 9 November:

Ante Diem V Idus Novembres [C]

* Ludi Plebii continuent.
* Apotheosis of Dea Helena (wife of Emperor Julian the Blessed).

For Monday, 10 November:

ante diem IV Idus Novembres [C]

* The Ludi Plebeii continue ('til the 17th); this day belongs to Diana. "Guardian of hills and forest groves, Virgin, whom young mothers thrice invoke at childbirth, listen and deliver them from death." (Q Horatius Flaccus, Carmina 3.22.1-3)

For Tuesday, 11 November:

ante diem III Idus Novembres [C]

* Ludi Plebii continue.
* Clodius attacks Cicero on the Via Sacra; the latter takes refuge in the house of Tettius Damio, 56 BCE.
* Ascension of Licinius, 308 CE.
"If this night the Vergiliae (Pleiades) set with cloudy weather, it forebodes a rainy winter." (Pliny, Nat. Hist. 18.60).

For Wednesday, 12 November:

Pridie Idus Novembres [C]

* Ludi Plebii.
* Clodius attacks house of Milo, 56 BCE.
"Opportunities lost can never be regained." (Cato in Pliny, N. H. 18.8. )

For Thursday, 13 November:

IDIBUS NOVEMBRIS [NP]
Notes:
[NP] Nefastus Publicus (ordinary citizens may not commit acts of physical violence, or begin lawsuits, and should try to avoid quarrels;
comitia: no; courts: no) Also: Every Ides is sacred to Juppiter: "Idibus alba Iovi grandior agna cadit." -- Ovidius

* Ludi Plebii: Jupiter. "There is a heavenly power and You do exist, O great Jupiter; not in vain did we consecrate this seat to You, Father of Gods and Mankind." (Livy 8.6.5).
* Fortuna Primigenia
* Feronia in the Campus Martius.
* Pietas in the Forum Holitorium[*], 181 BCE.

[*] Dixit noster Iohannes: "Our calendar's entry for the Ides actually sites the Temple of Pietas in the Forum Holitotius, yet, aside from a duplicate mention in a duplicate calendar at the http://www.religionromana.net site, all the other info I could check quickly indicates that it was indeed the Forum Holitorium, originally a vegetable market, which eventually held four temples: to PIETAS, JANUS, SPES and JUNO SOSPITA. So presumably our Calendar needs a fixie."

In fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

* [Calendar fixie]

Postby Aldus Marius on Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:21 am

Salve, qui legat:

I've noticed a few other misspellings (and quite a bit of confusing punctuation) in our Calendar as the Roman year has rolled by. It has not always been easy to tell what noster Piscinus intended, and he's not readily available enough to ask him. I reckon I'd better get out in front of you, mi Iohanne, and tweak December and the rest of November before we need them here. Then I'll "reform" the rest of the Calendar (Great Caesar's Ghost!) month-by-month for next year.

Related thought: Once we've read along through one Roman year, I don't imagine anything's going to change much except the "moveable feasts", for which we might take direction from the Nova Roman Priesthood. We could publish those here, along with other major festivals like the Ludi Plebeii and Ludi Apollinares; but other'n that, I don't really see the need to post the daily Fasti in perpetuum unless the Societas desperately wants us to.

In fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Nonne videtur et tu et ego soli hiic manemus?

Postby Aldus Marius on Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:58 am

(For Valerius Claudius Iohannes, Curator:)

Salve, Marii -

The daily posting (well, nearly daily) has been a good education for me. As Piscinus once said, the iteration of it allows one to get the rhythm of the year. I'm still pretty early on in the 'getting' of it, I'll admit, but I know Meditrinalia is Oct 11th, that the Kalends is sacred to Juno, that the Ides is sacred to Jove, and so on.

But if no one is checking in on it, perhaps you're right. Hmmmm. Pretty much the same info is available at NR or in their email from the Fasti group.

Still, for the moment, I'll continue to post it. Do I sound wishy-washy and most un-Roman? I'm still waking up this morning.... :^o

(Ad aliam rem: Changed my email.)

Optime vale!

:: Adversitas bono viro intelligentiam docet ::
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

One Cycle

Postby Aldus Marius on Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:00 am

Salve, mi Iohanne...

Yes, it does seem that we are talking mostly to ourselves and to each other in here. Several others visit at least a few times a week, and presumably read these. We're the only ones posting to this topic.

The first entry of the Fasti topic is for 10 March (a.d. VI Id. Mart.). Once we get to March 9th of next year, we'll have an entire Roman year set forth here. After that, as I've said, nothing about the Roman year is likely to change much, and we can leave this topic open for special occasions and personal reflections.

This has had value to me as a kind of daily devotional. And, yes, I feel a bit more Roman for having stepped, or been stepped through, the Roman year in this way. As you've said, we can get into the rhythm, like the Ecclesiastical year I still love, or the cycles of the seasons. I've enjoyed this. Perhaps the Gods or the Ancestors have, too. >({|:-)

Lepide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Fasti for the Weekend of 14-16 Nov 08

Postby Aldus Marius on Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:25 am

Salvete, Romani viatores!

The Fasti for the weekend of 14-16 November...

Friday, the 14th:

Ante Diem XVIII Kalendas Decembres [F] Ater
Notes:

* Ludi Plebii: Equorum Probatio, the parade of Equestrians.

Curator Iohannes notes:
November's Ides, once passed, point us towards the Kalends, the Nones and then the Ides of December. The American holiday of Thanksgiving approaches, to be followed about a fortnight later by the Saturnalia, and so on with Yule, Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa and the New Year.

Saturday, the 15th:

Ante Diem XVII Kalendas Decembres [C]
Notes:
[C] Comitialis: Comitia, yes; courts, yes.

* Ludi Plebii. Iam continuunt!

"As soon as the vintage is got in, gather olives at once … after the setting of the Vergilae [the Pleiades, on 11 Nov]." (Pliny Nat. Hist. 18.74)

And for Sunday, 16 November:

ante diem XVI Kalendas Decembres [C]

* Ludi Plebii: Supplicatio to Vesta.
* Birth of Tiberius Caesar, 42 BCE.

In fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Re: Fasti

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:27 am

Salvete omnes!

The Fasti for Sunday, 16 November:

ante diem XVI Kalendas Decembres [C]

* Ludi Plebii: Supplicatio to Vesta.
* Birth of Tiberius Caesar, 42 BCE.

In fide,

Valerius Claudius Iohannes
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Centurio Honorarius Societatis
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

:: Adversitas bono viro intelligentiam docet. ::
Valerius Claudius Iohanes
Curator
Curator

Location: Sancti Leandri Oppidum, California Franciscencis, Conpactae Civitates Americae

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:28 am

Salvete, qui legant.

Ante Diem XV Kalendas Decembres [C], 11-17-08
[C] Comitialis est dies: Comitia, yes; Courts, no.
From the SVR Calendar:
- Ludi Plebii continue.
- Birth of Vespasian, 9 CE.
- "Whatever can be done with the help of an ass, will cost the least money." (Cato, in Pliny N. H. 18. 8 ).

Ante Diem XIV Kalendas Decembres [C], 11-18-08
[C] Comitialis est dies: Comitia, yes; Courts, no.
From the SVR Calendar:

- Festival of Ceres: In kind service have Earth and Ceres nurtured wheat, She who gave grain life, She who gave us room to grow. (Ovid Fasti 1.673-74).

Valete.
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

Curator
Curator

Location: Sancti Leandri Oppidum, California Franciscencis, Conpactae Civitates Americae

Re: Fasti 11-19 and 11-20-2008

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:31 am

Salvete, Sodales Sociique Omnes -

Hodie Martis est dies, ante diem quattuordecim Kalendras Decembres. And tho Ceres is for most of us rather a distant idea, still we should remember the unity of Earth, Life, Grain and Fruit, the grain being Her bounty.

But for the coming days:

Ante Diem XIII Kalendras Decembres [C], 11-19-08
[C] Comitialis est dies: Comitia yes; Courts yes.
And from the SVR kalendar:

- Ops.
- "O eternal Creatrix of Gods and men, who brings into being rivers and forests and the seeds of life throughout the world…." (Statius, Thebaid 8.303-4 ).

Ante Diem XII Kalendras Decembres [C], 11-20-08
Atque ex Kalendario Societatis:

- He is a poor farmer who has to buy what his farm may supply him with. (Pliny N. H. 18.8 ).
- Birth of Maximinus Daia, 270 CE.
- Ascension of Diocletian, 284 CE.

Valete.
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

Curator
Curator

Re: Fasti for 11/21/2008

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:32 am

Salvete, Romani Viatores!

The Fasti for Friday, 21 November:

ante diem XI Kalendas Decembres [C]

"If the leaves [of elms for fodder] are gathered while the moon is on the wane, they will not decay; they ought not to be dry, however, when gathered." (Pliny, Nat. Hist. 18.74).

In fide,

Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

Curator
Curator

Re: IO SATURNALIA!

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:33 am

Avete, Sodales Sociique -

Less than a month till Saturnalia....

Valete bene omnes, breves per hos dies Autumnales.
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

Curator
Curator

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:24 am

Salvete, et Quirites et Amici -

The Fasti for Tuesday and Wednesday, Dec. 9 and 10:

Ante Diem V Idus Decembres [C]
[C] Comitialis: Comitia yes; Courts yes.
And from the SVR Calendar:

- OPTALIA: Feast of Ops, goddess of Harvests.
- Mesonyctium: the Vigil of Attys.
Attys: His story is similar to those of Osiris, or Persephone, or Christ. Attis was the son of the Goddess Cybele, the Phrygian 'Great Mother of All Things', brought from Phrygia to Rome per an oracle. But the divine young man fell in love with a nymph and his mother, the Goddess, found herself overcome with jealousy. In a rage, she cast a spell of madness on him; and Attis, in his madness, at the foot of a pine tree, castrated himself. As his life blood dripped to the earth, violets sprang up.
Cybele, now filled with remorse, took the body to a cave and grieved. Eventually, she used her power to restore him to life; His restoration and Their reunion restored life and hope to the world. Cybele founded a cult for him among men, made Attis its priest and made the pine tree sacred to him.
I am assuming - I haven't better info yet - that the Vigil is that same time of grief spent by Cybele before the youth's resurrection. It would make sense that the grieving vigil would correspond to desolate Winter.
Now, if any of you know the subject better, perhaps you might post on it!

Ante Diem IV Idus Decembres [C]

- Lux Mundi: Tribuni plebis magistratum ineunt; on this day the people’s Tribunes took office during the Late Republic.

Vadetis, vos, in pace Deorum.
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

Curator
Curator

Fasti: Weekend of 22-23 November

Postby Aldus Marius on Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:35 am

The Fasti for Saturday, 22 November 08:

ante diem X Kalendas Decembres [C]

"O Moon, you who know what grief is, pity one who grieves." (Valerius Cato, Lydia 42)

And for Sunday the 23d:

Ante Diem IX Kalendas Decembres [C]
Notes:
[C] Comitialis: Comitia, yes; Courts, yes.

* Juno Temper.
* 353 CE: Persecution of the Pagans: Nocturnal rites are banned, beginning with the sacrifices to Diana held on this night.

In fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Fasti: Last week of November

Postby Aldus Marius on Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:23 am

Salvete iterum, amici Romani! And gratias ago, mi Iohanne, for 'porting over the third week of November.

The Fasti for Monday, 24 November:

ante diem VIII Kalendas Decembres [C]

* Egyptian Festival of Lights. "You, most cruel of the (three) Brothers, to whom the Manes are given to serve, …open the way into the empty void of stern Proserpina." (Statius, Thebaid 4.474-6).

And for Tuesday, 25 November:

ante diem VII Kalendas Decembres [C]

* Proserpina: O Proserpina, may Your clemency remain merciful on the souls You keep; and may You, Dis Pater, Proserpina’s consort, not desire to be stern." (Propertius 2.28c.1-2)

For Wednesday, 26 November:

ante diem VI Kalendas Decembres [C]

Vestis institor est ([Winter] sells clothing). (Pliny, Nat. Hist. 18.60).

In my corner of the planet we've been having nights in the 20s (F) for the last week.... >'({(:-|

Thursday, 27 November:

Ante Diem V Kalendas Decembres [C]
Notes:
[C] Comitialis: Comitia, yes; Courts, yes.

"O Cretheian Virgin, borne on graceful and gentle waves, unfold the way, Goddess, and show us what course to follow." (Valerius Flaccus, Argonautica 2.611-12).

And Friday, the 28th:

[b]Ante Diem IV Kalendas Decembres [C]

"Neptune, divine Lord of the Trident, on whose high seas we begin to cross, if my preparations are made justly, grant our fleet to sail safely." (Silius Italicus, Punica 15.159-60)

In fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Fasti: 29 and 30 November 08

Postby Aldus Marius on Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:25 am

Salvete, amici Romani!

The Fasti for Saturday, 29 November:

ante diem III Kalendas Decembres [C]

And from the SVR's Roman calendar:

* Festival of the Fili Saturni (Jupiter, Neptune, and Pluto): Jupiter, who gives and takes away, grant me life; may You grant me the means, and I shall provide a balanced mind myself. (Q Horatius Flaccus, Epistolae 1.18.11-12)

A dictum just as appropriate for me, in its way, as Iohannes' prayers of journeying.

And for Sunday, 30 November:

Pridie Kalendas Decembres [C]
Notes:
The last day of each month is sacred to Hekate.

* Feast of Adonis.
"Always act in such a way as to secure the love of your neighbors." (Pliny, Nat. Hist. 18.8)

I've also seen the sentiment phrased in this way: "Live in such a way that if anyone were to speak ill of you, no one else would believe them."

In fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:10 am

Salvete, amici -

My first Winter cold has me dragging - but 'tis the season.

12/13/08 was:

IDIBUS DECEMBRIS [NP]
[NP] Nefastus Publicus: ordinary citizens may not commit acts of physical violence, or begin lawsuits, and should try to avoid quarrels; Comitia: no; Courts: no.

- Sementivae: Sowing festival of Tellus in Carinis (268 BCE).
- Lectisternium of Ceres in Carinis and at the Temple of Tellus.

12/14/08 is:

Ante Diem XIX Kalendras Ianuarias [F], Ater
- Dies est Ater: (unlucky)
*Gods or Goddesses should not be invoked by name while one is indoors, and no celestial God or Goddess should be invoked by name while one is outdoors.
*Sacrifices should not be made.
*These days are ill-omened to begin any new project since any new project that one would necessarily begin by performing a rite calling for the assistance of the gods. Such religious rites, beginning something new, are not to be performed.
*Avoid making journeys, or doing anything risky.
NOTA BENE: Normal work would still be performed on dies atri, and as part of performing any work one performs rites for the patron deities, geni locii, and other appropriate deities. Likewise, the daily routine is also performed before the lararium
From the SVR Calendar:

- 'By several days will bad and wintry weather often precede the proper date to begin that season, what the Greeks call proceimazein or "to be an early winter".' (Pliny, Nat. Hist. 18.57)

12/15/08 will be:

Ante Diem XVIII Kalendras Ianuarias [NP]
NP] Nefastus Publicus: Ordinary citizens may not commit acts of physical violence, or begin lawsuits, and should try to avoid quarrels; Comitia: no; Courts: no.
From the SVR Calendar:

- CONSUALIA.
- Supplicatio to Fortuna Redux.
- Birth of Nero, 37 BCE.

Ut melius quam me valeatis omnes....
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

Curator
Curator

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:59 pm

Posted today by the redoubtable Tiberius Dionysius Draco on the BB2:

12/16

16 XVII Kal Ian C: Come now, Antiquity, and compare our festival today to that held for primeval Jove in a golden age, not liberally did the wine flow then, nor the harvest anticipate the tardy year. (Statius I.vi.39-42)

12/17

Ante diem XVI Kalendas Ianuarias [NP] SATURNALIA

Saturnalia is the festival of Saturnus, who introduced agriculture and the arts of civilized life. It comes when the agricultural labors of the year are fully completed. Originally a sort of joyous harvest-home, in every age it was viewed by all classes of the community as a period of absolute relaxation and unrestrained merriment.

It is a time to eat, drink, and be merry. Presents are exchanged among friends. Wax tapers are a common gift. Crowds fill the streets, shouting Io Saturnalia (termed "clamare Saturnalia"). Sacrifices are offered with uncovered head, from a conviction that no ill-omened sight will interrupt the rites of such a happy day. The toga is not worn, but the pilleus (freedman's hat) is worn by everyone. No public business may be transacted, the law courts are closed, to begin a war is impious. Slaves were relieved from all duties and were permitted to wear the pileus, a badge of freedom They were granted full freedom of speech, partook of a banquet attired in the clothes of their masters, and were served by them at table.

During the republic the whole month of December was considered as dedicated to Saturn although just one day, the XIV. Kal. Ian. was the Saturnalia proper. This was moved to XVI. Kal. Ian when the Iulian calendar was adopted. Augustus established that three days, the 17th through the 19th of December, should all be sacred, including both the old and new style. In fact, the festivities were spread over a much longer space and the merry-making lasted for seven days.

17 XVI Kal Ian NP: SATURNALIA Feriae: Originally a single feastday for the dedication of a temple to Saturnus on the Capitoline Hill in 497 BCE, in 217 BCE the festival was reorganized and expanded. This day was celebrated by a public sacrifice at the temple of Saturnus, followed by a public feast, the convivium begun in 217 BCE. Revelers left the convivium shouting "Io Saturnalia!" Ausonian swains, a race from Troy derived, make merry with rough rhymes and boistrous mirth. (Virgil, Georg. II.385-6)

Valete bene!
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

Curator
Curator

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:04 pm

Salvete, Quirites -

IO, SATURNALIA! IO, TRIOMPHE!

(Ill and croaking like a raven is no way to begin Saturnalia, but that's how I'm beginning it. Diis iuvantibus, I'll be better in a few days.)

M. Horatius Piscinus, id est, Nova Roma's M. Moravius Piscinus Horatianus, posted a good quote yesterday on Saturn and his reign in the Golden Age.

"Who knows not of the Golden Age of the care-free King? when no man
    subdued fields to his will or sowed grain in them or fended harmful
    weeds from the crops which were to come; when plentious harvests
    filled the barns to last the year; when, with no tread but his own,
    Bacchus ran into wine; when honies dripped from clinging leaves, and
    Pallas made flow her own special streams of rich olive-oil: then had
    the country graciousness. To none was it e'er vouchsafed to know more
    joyously his own times." ~ Anonymous, Aetna

May we all have a blissful Saturnalia and Season of Holidays Else! Optime valete.
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

Curator
Curator

Re: Fasti for Thunor's Day, 12-18-2008

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:14 am

Salvete iterum, Amici -

Cras erit 12/18/2008, id est, hic dies:

Ante Diem XV Kalendas Ianuarias [C]
Ab nostro Kalendario Societatis:

- SATURNALIA!
- Feriae Epona, of Epona, the goddess of horses.
- The second day of Saturnalia was observed by family sacrifices and feasting, with masters attending on slaves as a reminder of the Golden Age when all were equals.
- "Pamper your dear soul with young roasted pork and wine, and your household enjoy a holiday from work." (Horace, Carmina 3.17.14-16)

Denuo, valete, Quirites!
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

Curator
Curator

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:57 am

Salvete, Sodales Sociique -

Ecce Fasti de 12/19 usque ad 12/21/08:

Ante Diem XIV Kalendas Ianuarias [NP] (12/19/08, Veneris Dies)
[NP] Nefastus Publicus: Ordinary citizens may not commit acts of physical violence, or begin lawsuits, and should try to avoid quarrels; Comitia: no; Courts: no.
Ab Kalendario SVR:

- SATURNALIA
- Feriae OPALIA.
- Iuventas at the Circus Maximus (191 BCE).
- The third and following days of Saturnalia were spent in visiting family and friends and exchanging gifts. Common gifts were red wax candles (cerei), paste images of the Gods (sigillaria), and stationery.

Ante Diem XIII Kalendas Ianuarias [C] (12/20/08, Saturnis Dies)
Ab Kalendario SVR:

- SATURNALIA
- Feriae: "Saturnus, Great King of ancient starry skies and earth primeval, under Your peaceful reign never was anyone’s tranquility disturbed by labor." (Martial 12.62.1)
- Death of Vitellius
- Vespasian declared Emperor, 69 CE.

Ante Diem XII Kalendas Ianuarias [NP] (12/21/08, Solis Dies)
[NP] Nefastus Publicus: Ordinary citizens may not commit acts of physical violence, or begin lawsuits, and should try to avoid quarrels; Comitia: no; Courts: no.
Ab Kalendario SVR:

- SATURNALIA
- Feriae
- DIVALIA of ANGERONA: Public sacrifice offered in Acculeian Curia to the goddess who protected Rome but whose name was kept secret. From the latter trait She was known as Tacita, the one who keeps silent, and Macrobius gave a hint to Her identity by mention of Volupia.

Valete.
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

Curator
Curator

PreviousNext

Return to General