Fasti

The main forum of the Societas Via Romana. Anything not covered by one of the Collegia is probably being discussed here!

Moderator: Aldus Marius

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:14 am

Avete, Cives Romani - for Sunday, 8/10/2008 -

FASTI: ante diem IV Idus Sextiles [C]
    [C] Comitialis (comitia: yes; courts: yes)
From the SVR Calendar:
    "Venus, we tearfully entreat, as we kneel and clasp Your altar, take us under Your protection and defend us. Punish the evil ones who have belittled Your sanctuary, and in Your good grace let this altar be our refuge." (Plautus, Rodens 694 ff.)

Valete.
Valerius Claudius Iohannes
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Centurio Honorarius Societatis
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

:: Adversitas bono viro intelligentiam docet. ::
Valerius Claudius Iohanes
Curator
Curator

Location: Sancti Leandri Oppidum, California Franciscencis, Conpactae Civitates Americae

FASTI FOR 8-11 AND 8-12-2008

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:10 am

Salvete, Sodales Sociique -

Fasti posts for tomorrow and the day-after-tomorrow:

FASTI: ante diem III Idus Sextiles [C] (8/11/2008)
From the SVR Calendar:
- Ascension of Hadrian, 117 CE.
- "Hercules, Founder of our city, You who are called Alcidus, in whose footsteps we now reside on this hallowed earth, avert the threatening storms from our land." (Sillius Italicus, Punica 1.639-42)

FASTI: Pridie Idus Sextiles [C] (8/12/2008)
From the SVR Calendar:
- Hercules Magnus Custodus in Circus Flaminius.
- Hercules Invictus in Circus Maximus.
- Venus Victrix, Honor, Virtus, and Felicitas in Theater Marmoreus.
- Lychnapsia: Festival of Lights of Isis.

Since the Festival of Lights of Isis, Lychnapsia, is celebrated on Dies Martis, maybe it's a good time to visit the Temple of Isis that M. Lupinius Paulus has erected in cyberspace: http://www.geocities.com/templvmisidis/index.html.

Bene valete.
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

Curator
Curator

Location: Sancti Leandri Oppidum, California Franciscencis, Conpactae Civitates Americae

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:04 am

Avete, Cives Romani -

Here are the Fasti for Dies Mercurii atque Iovis, MMVIII.VIII. et XIII et XIV.

FASTI: Idibus Sextilibus [NP], the Ides of August are here.
    [NP] Nefastus Publicus (ordinary citizens may not commit acts of physical violence, or begin lawsuits, and should try to avoid quarrels;
    Comitia: no; Courts: no)
From the SVR Calendar:
    - IDIBUS AUGUSTI.
    - Feriae Jovi.
    - VERTUMNALIA Offering of first ripened fruit to Vertumnus and Pomona on the Aventine, 264 BCE.
    - "When the first grape turns blue on the bunch and ear of corn swells with milky juice." (Propertius 4.2.13)
    - Diana on the Aventine, before 509 BCE.
    - Castor and Pollux in Circus Flaminius, 3rd cent.
    - Flora in the Circus Maximus.
    - Grove of Camena at Porta Capena.
    - Felicitas on the Velia, 173 BCE.
    - Fortuna Equestris, 173 BCE.
    - Hercules Victor at Porta Trigemina.
    "Come hither, Hercules, and grace this newly dedicated temple with the presence of Your genius." (Papinius Statius, Silvae 3.1.23-28 ).

FASTI: ante diem XIX Kalendas Septembres [F], ATER.
    [F] Fastus (comitia: no; courts: yes)
    DIES ATER (unlucky):
    - Try to avoid making journeys, starting new projects, or doing anything risky.
    - Certain gods, including Iuppiter and Ianus, may not be named.
    - These days are ill-omened to begin any new project, and any new project would necessarily begin by performing a rite calling for the assistance of the gods. Such religious rites, beginning something new, are not to be performed. NOTA BENE: Normal work would still be performed on dies atri, and as part of performing any work one performs rites for the patron deities, geni locii, and other appropriate deities. Likewise, the daily routine is also performed before the lararium.
    - New fire should not be struck.
From the SVR Calendar:
    - Cicero’s conviction of Verres, 70 BCE.
    - Alaric’s sack of Rome, 410 CE.

Valete, amici omnes.
Last edited by Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

Curator
Curator

The short and long of it?

Postby Aldus Marius on Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:45 am

Salvete, amici Romani!

I'd meant to ask this after the Nones had been posted, but it fits here as well:

I've always briefed my discipuli and Roman roleplayers that the Nones would be on the 5th of a short month and the 7th of a long one. Similarly, the Ides would fall on the 13th of a short month, and the 15th of a long one. Such seems to have been the case for most of the year. But this isn't the first time I've seen the "pivot days" for August listed as the earlier dates. Was Sextilis/August considered a "short" month in Ancient Rome?

Seeking Enlightenment,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:04 am

Salvete, Romani - Minime Aldi Marii quaestioni respondere possum! Responsum correctum scit aliquis? I can't answer Marius' question at all; does anyone have a correct response?

But I can offer the Fasti, for today, tomorrow (8/16) and for Solis Dies (8/17):

8/15/2008: FASTI: ante diem XVIII Kalendas Septembres [C]
    [C] Comitialis: Courts, yes; comitia, yes)
From our SVR Calendar:

"Vesta, watch over him who tends the Holy Fire. Live well, fires, O undying flames, live long, I pray." (Ovid, Fasti 3.426-28 ).

8/16/2008: FASTI: ante diem XVII Kalendas Septembres [C]
    [C] Comitialis (courts, yes; comitia, yes)
From our SVR Calendar:

If showers prevail at the setting of the Dolphin, they will not cease so long as while Arcturus remains visible. (Pliny, N. H. 18.74)

8/17/2008: FASTI: ante diem XVI Kalendasa Septembres [NP] PORTUNALIA:
Portunalia is a festival celebrated in honour of Portunus, the god of harbours. (Varro, De Ling. Lat. VII.19, ed. Müller).
Also: Photographs of the Temple of Portunus, courtesy of the Fasti List: http://www.livius.org/a/italy/rome/t_portunus/temple_portunus.html[/color]

[NP] Nefastus Publicus (ordinary citizens may not commit acts of physical violence, or begin lawsuits, and should try to avoid quarrels; Comitia: no; Courts: no)
From our SVR Calendar:
- PORTUNALIA Temple of Portunus in Forum Holitonus, 260.
- Sacrifice by flamen Portunalis on Ponta Aemilius for Tibernalia.
- Janus in Theatrum Marcellum, 260 BCE, where people offer keys into His fire in order to bless their house.
- "A lucky day to set the vine in the earth, and tame the steer, and fix lashes to the warp." (Virgil, Georg. 1.284-85).
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

Curator
Curator

Fasti: Monday, 18 Aug 08

Postby Aldus Marius on Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:25 am

Salvete, amici Romani!

Fasti for Monday, 18 August:

ante diem XV Kalendas Septembres [C]

From our SVR calendar:
* Flora, Festival of Flowers. I'm thinking of a dear friend, Nicolaeus Moravius Vado, who serves as a flamen Floralis in Britannia. He might pray something like this: "Lead on, O best of Mothers, lead on, I plead, and exhaust the Gods with humble entreaties on my behalf." (Papinius Statius, Achilleis 1.143-44)

In fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Fasti: Tuesday, 19 Aug 2008

Postby Aldus Marius on Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:08 am

Avete, Romani viatores!

The Fasti for Tuesday, 19 August:

ante diem XIV Kalendas Septembres
[NP]
VINALIA RUSTICA

Notes: There are two Vinalia festivals: the Vinalia urbana and the Vinalia rustica.

The Vinalia Rustica is celebrated by the inhabitants of all Latium, on the day on which the vintage is opened. On this occasion the flamen dialis offers lambs to Iupiter, and while the flesh of the victims lays on the altar, he breaks with his own hands a bunch of grapes from a vine, and by this act he, as it were, opens the vintage (vindemiam auspicari; Varro, de Ling. Lat. VI.20), and no must was allowed to be conveyed into the city until this solemnity was performed (Pliny, Historia Naturalis XVIII.69 §4).

This day is sacred to Jupiter, and Venus too appears to have a share in it (Varro, l.c.; de Re Rust. I.1; Macrobius, Saturnalis I.4; Ovid, Fasti IV.897, &c.). An account of the story which was believed to have given rise to the celebration of this festival is given by Festus, (s.v. Rustica vinalia) and Ovid (Fasti IV.863, &c.; compare Aurelius Victor, de Orig. Gent. Rom. 15).

And from the SVR calendar:

* VINALIA RUSTICA, Feriae Jovi. Flamen Dialis takes the auspicatio for the grape harvest, cutting the first bunch during the sacrifice of a ewe lamb.
* Festival of Gardeners (holitores) for Venus in the locus of Libitina.
* Temple of Venus Opsequens dedicated in Circus Maximus, 295 BCE.
* Death of Augustus at Nola and ascension of Tiberius, 14 CE.
* Birth of Probus, 232 CE.

In fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Fasti: Wednesday, 20 Aug 08

Postby Aldus Marius on Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:02 am

Salvete, amici Romani!

The Fasti for Wednesday, 20 August:

ante diem XIII Kalendas Septembres [C]

And a quote from our SVR calendar:

"Come, glad Venus of Erycina, we pray You may come, with Love and Laughter attending on festival." (Q Horatius Flaccus, Carmen Saeculare 1.5.33-34)

In fide, >({|:-)
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Fasti: Thursday, 21 Aug 08

Postby Aldus Marius on Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:19 am

Salvete, omnes!

The Fasti for Thursday, 21 August:

ante diem XII Kalendas Septembres
[NP]
CONSUALIA

Notes: The Consualia is a festival, with games, celebrated by the Romans, according to Festus, Ovid (Fast. III.199), and others, in honour of Consus, the god of secret deliberations, or, according to Livy (i.9), of Neptunus Equestris. Plutarch (Quaest. Rom. 45), Dionysius of Halicarnassus (ii.31), and the Pseudo Asconius, however (ad Cic. in Verr. p142, ed. Orelli), say that Neptunus Equestris and Consus were only different names for one and the same deity. It was solemnised every year in the circus, by the symbolical ceremony of uncovering an altar dedicated to the god, which was buried in the earth. For Romulus, who was considered as the founder of the festival, was said to have discovered an altar in the earth on that spot (cf. Niebuhr, Hist. Rom. vol. I notes 629 and 630).

The solemnity took place on the 21st of August with horse and chariot races, and libations were poured into the flames which consumed the sacrifices. During these festive games, horses and mules were not allowed to do any work, and were adorned with garlands of flowers. It was at their first celebration that, according to the ancient legend, the Sabine maidens were carried off (Varro, De Ling. Lat. VI.20; Dionys. I.33.2; Cic. De Rep. ii.7). Virgil (Aen. VIII.636), in speaking of the rape of the Sabines, describes it as having occurred during the celebration of the Circensian games, which can only be accounted for by supposing that the great Circensian games, in subsequent times, superseded the ancient Consualia; and that thus the poet substituted games of his own time for ancient ones — a favorite practice with Virgil; or that he only meant to say the rape took place at the well-known festival in the circus (the Consualia), without thinking of the ludi Circenses, properly so called.

From M Horatius Piscinus' SVR calendar:

* Sacrifice by the flamen Quirinalis and Vestal Virgins offer wreaths of many flowers to Consus on the Aventine, 272 BCE, and to His indigimenta Seia, Segestia, Messia, and Tutulina. Procession of horses and mules, decked in flower wreaths, to race in the Circus.
* Rape of the Sabine women (Livy 1.9.6).
* Hecate

In fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Fasti: Friday, 22 Aug 08

Postby Aldus Marius on Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:44 am

Salvete amici!

The Fasti for Friday, 22 August:

ante diem XI Kalendas Septembres [EN]
Notes:
[EN] = Dies Endotercisus (morning: Nefas; afternoon: Fas; evening: Nefas)

And from our SVR calendar:

* Aedesia: "What good is it to be energetic outside the house when your home-life within is bad?" (Valerius Maximus, 2.9.1)

In fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Fasti: Saturday, 23 Aug 08

Postby Aldus Marius on Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:53 am

Salvete, Romani Viatores!

Fasti for Saturday, 23 August:

ante diem X Kalendas Septembres [NP]
VOLCANALIA
Notes:
The Volcanalia is a festival celebrated at Rome in honour of Vulcan, on the 23d of August (a.d. X Calend. Sept.) with games in the circus Flaminius, where the god had a temple (Inscript. ap. Gruter. lxi.3, cxxxiv; Publ. Vict. de regionib. urb. Romae, 9). The sacrifice on this occasion consisted of fishes which the people threw into the fire (Varro, de Ling. Lat. VI.20). It was also customary on this day to commence working by candlelight, which was probably considered as an auspicious beginning of the use of fire, as the day was sacred to the god of this element (Plin. Epist. III.5).

It was on the day of this festival that the consul Q. Fulvius Nobilior received a severe defeat from the Celtiberians, B.C. 153. It became an ater dies in consequence (Appian, Hisp. 45)

From the Roman Calendar on the SVR site:

* Temple of Volcanus dedicated in Circus Flaminius, 3rd cent.
* Volcanalia: Herds of animals blessed by driving them over fires. Fish caught from the Tiber near the Temple of Volcanus were offered in the family hearth as a home blessing.
* The Good Works of Hora, wife of Quirinus, celebrated at His temple on the Quirinal. The flamen Portunalis anoints the arms of Quirinus.
* Temple of Maia above the Comitia. Sacrifices to Nymphs in the Campus Martius, to Juturna and to Ops Opifera.

In fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Fasti: Sunday, 24 Aug, and Monday, 25 Aug 08

Postby Aldus Marius on Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:16 am

Salvete, amici Romani!

A two-for-one special! --the Fasti for Sunday and Monday, 24-25 August.

24 August

* ante diem IX Kalendas Septembres
[C]
Religiosus

25 August

* ante diem VIII Kalendas Septembres
[NP]
OPICONSIVIA

Notes: Ops
is an ancient god of the Sabines, from where she passed to the Romans. She is associated with Saturn, and often identified with the Greek goddess Rhea. The goddess Juno is sometimes associated with Ops as Juno Opigena.

As Ops Consiva, Ops the Sower, she protects the sowing of crops. She is also called Ops Opifera, the bringer of help.

Ops had an ancient sanctuary in the Regia in the Forum Romanum, and there was a Temple of Ops on the Capitoline Hill.

She is celebrated at the Opalia on December 19, and at the Opiconsivia on August 25.

From the SVR calendar -- 24 August:

* N: Mundus opened; there was to be no raising of troops, sending them off to campaign or entering battle, and no marriages performed. (Macrobius, Sat I.16.18).
* Temple of Luna on Graecostasus.
* Destruction of Pompeii, 79 CE.

(That'll be why I turned down 24 August as the first-offered date for my surgery...I had devotions to make; it just seemed like the respectful thing to do.)

25 August:

* NP: OPICONSIVIA. Sacrifices to Ops made in the Regia by Vestal Virgins, and by the pontifex maximus dressed and veiled as a Vestal. (Varro, de Lingua Latina 6.21).
* Temple of Ops on Capitoline, and of Libertas on the Aventine.

In fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Fasti: Tuesday, 26 Aug 08

Postby Aldus Marius on Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:33 am

Salvete omnes!

The Fasti for Tuesday, 26 August:

ante diem VII Kalendas Septembres [C]

And the SVR calendar reminds the agriculturally-minded among us that...
"Arugula should be sown after the Vulcanalia." (Pliny, Nat. Hist. 18.74) >({|:-)

In fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Fasti: Wednesday, 27 Aug 08

Postby Aldus Marius on Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:12 am

Salvete Romani!

The Fasti for Wednesday, 27 August. This one's pretty.

ante diem VI Kalendas Septembres
[NP]
VOLTURNALIA
Notes:
The Volturnalia is the Roman festival on August 27 dedicated to Volturnus, 'god of the waters,' god of fountains. Volturnus is a tribal river god who later was identified as god of the Tiber River. The Volturnus River, in southern Italy, is named for him. Volturnus is the father of the goddess Juturna, who was first identified with a spring in Latium near the Numicus River and later with a pool near the Temple of Vesta in the Forum of Rome. They are both honored on this day with feasting, wine-drinking, and games.

From the SVR calendar:

* Sacrifice by the flamen Volturnalis to Volturnus to avert harsh dry winds such as those that raised clouds of dust at Cannae. (Livy 22.43.10).

Off to go play in the sprinklers,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Fasti: Thursday, 28 Aug 08

Postby Aldus Marius on Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:19 am

Salvete omnes!

The Fasti for Thursday, 28 August:

ante diem V Kalendas Septembres [C]

From the SVR calendar:

* Sol and Luna in Circus Maximus. "O Sol, whose light embraces the world, you orbit inexhaustible, forever returning." (Caludianus, Olybii et Probini 1-2)

In fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Fasti: Friday, 29 Aug 08

Postby Aldus Marius on Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:05 am

Salvete, amici Romani...

...and Welcome back to Curator Iohannes! He's been travelling. I'll do tonight's entry, and possibly tomorrow's; but after that I expect to see him here bright-eyed and bushy-tailed! (Or is that bright-tailed and bushy-eyed? --I always get them mixed up!) >({|;-)

Fasti for Friday, 29 August:

ante diem IV Kalendas Septembres [C]

Quote of the day:
The deepest rivers flow with the least sound. (Curtius Rufius 7.4.13)

(The modern version is "Still water runs deep".)

In fide,
Aldus Marius Peregrinus.
Aldus Marius
Curialis
Curialis

Fasti

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:53 pm

Salve, Marii -

I'm back AND I'll pick up the Fasti again starting today. Thanks for diligently filling in for me.

Vale.
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

Curator
Curator

FASTI FOR SATURNIS DIES, MMVIII.VIII.XXX.

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:57 am

Salvete, Amici -

Ut Dii vos omnes incolumes custodiant! Ecce, Fasti Notitia
for this coming Saturday:

FASTI: Ante diem III Kalendas Septembres [C]

[C] (Comitia, yes; Courts, yes)

From the SVR Calendar:

This is the season for extracting the lees of wine and boiling defrutum, this last must be done when there is no moon, or if it is a full moon, in the day-time. (Pliny, N. H. 18.74.)

Valete.
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

Curator
Curator

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:05 am

Salvete, Quirites -

For 8/31/2008, Sunday, id est Solis Dies:

FASTI: Pridie Kalendas Septembres [C]

Ex calendario nostro:

- Virtue will safely follow wherever the Fates lead. (Lucan, Pharsalia 2.287 )

- Birth of Commodus, 161 CE.
Valete.
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

Curator
Curator

Postby Valerius Claudius Iohanes on Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:24 am

Salvete, Romani -

Fasti - for Monday, Sept 1st, and Tuesday, Sept 2nd, 2008 CE/2761 AUC:

Lunae Diei:

FASTI: Kalendis Septembribus [F], 9/1/2008

From the SVR Calendar:
- Juno Regina on the Aventine.
- Jupiter Liber and Jupiter Tonans on the Capitoline.
- I pray first to You, thunderous Jupiter Tonans, that now finally You spare me in my old age and lift Your anger from me. (Valerius Flaccus, Argonautica 4.474-76).

Martisque diei:

FASTI: ante diem IV nonas Septembres [F], Dies Ater
DIES ATER (unlucky):
- Try to avoid making journeys, starting new projects, or doing anything risky.
- Certain gods, including Iuppiter and Ianus, may not be named.
- These days are ill-omened to begin any new project, and any new project would necessarily begin by performing a rite calling for the assistance of the gods. Such religious rites, beginning something new, are not to be performed. NOTA BENE: Normal work would still be performed on dies atri, and as part of performing any work one performs rites for the patron deities, geni locii, and other appropriate deities. Likewise, the daily routine is also performed before the lararium.
- New fire should not be struck.

From the SVR Calendar:
- Cicero delivers the First Philippic before the Senate, 44 BCE.
- Then came the day of the great conflict, in which Caesar and Anthony led out their fleets and fought, one for the safety, and the other for ruin, of the world. (Vellius Paterculus, Hist. 2.85-86)
- Battle of Actium, final defeat of Marcus Antonius by Marcus Agrippa, 31 BCE.
- SVR founds Collegium Vita Quotdianae, 2002 CE.

Valete.
Curator anno MMDCCLXII
Civis ab MMDCCLIV

Curator
Curator

PreviousNext

Return to General